PC Hardware forum

General discussion

which memory is correct for upgrade?

by TJRatfink / October 19, 2008 2:57 PM PDT

My PC currently has 1 GB memory (2-512GB chips) with 2 slots for expansion. I've always read where an upgrade should use the same size chips, but is it written in stone where I have to use 2 more 512s as opposed to dropping in 1 or 2 1GB chips to use with the 512s in there now? Or do I take the current 512s out & drop in 2, 3 or 4 1GB chips?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which memory is correct for upgrade?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which memory is correct for upgrade?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not written in stone
by darkzenlord / October 19, 2008 3:22 PM PDT

I have seen many computers with different RAM sizes. The things that are important are, to note where the "duel channel" slots are. It is recommended that you use the same speed and size when filling these slots. On the other hand, you do not have to match the RAM in the opposing channel. So Channel 1 could be 2x512 and channel 2 1gx2.

But, why take the chance of spotty operation. At current RAM prices, you might as well match all the chips.

As with any RAM upgrade, make sure you check the manufacters compatible RAM list. DDR2 is more strict when it comes to speed.

For guaranteed reliability, (which is my motto) spend the extra $20.

-BR

Collapse -
yes and no
by Nightmares0nwax / October 20, 2008 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Not written in stone

different sizes on different channels only work if your chipset supports it. for amd systems you will have to check if the cpu will support it. otherwise it is definately a bad idea

Collapse -
and
by Nightmares0nwax / October 20, 2008 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: yes and no

not just same size but identical modules.

Collapse -
(NT) Go to crucial.com
by Coryphaeus / October 19, 2008 11:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
Specs rule
by Willy / October 20, 2008 1:25 AM PDT

Your details are lacking as what your system is.

You need to verify just what the specs are for your system ram needs and if it's DDR2 capable. Once known you can buy similar ram sticks you already have -OR- increase ram amt. per stick to add to system present -OR- replace old ram with new larger ram amt. sticks. The DDR2 mode if used will better handle ram demands, however usually its demands proper ram slot placement. Also, the OS being used will limit the ram amount and/or ideal ram installable(search the forums here for topic). Review the manual or visit the system/mtrbd. support website.

Visiting crucial.com or kingston.com should help in ram buying and getting ram info.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?