Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

which line out is best for sound quality?

by hal-e / December 31, 2008 5:38 PM PST

1.ipod video 30gb.
2.creative zen vision m 30gb.

I have a vincent headphone amp. and sen.hd-580.

CHEERS.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which line out is best for sound quality?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which line out is best for sound quality?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Creative Zen Vision M
by lukv / January 3, 2009 12:03 AM PST

I have the Zen Vision:M and have to say the line out is very good. Nothing bad to say about it. I haven't tried the Ipod though. A negative with the Zen's line out is that you need that separate dongle piece plugged into the player.

Collapse -
Cowon!
by purdue92 / January 5, 2009 3:26 AM PST

In my experience with MP3 players, you can almost rest assured that an iPod of ANY type isn't going to sound as good as other MP3 players. Sure they're handy and iTunes is a great tool for keeping track of music and syncing up your favorite tunes (I use it for my iPhone), but sound quality isn't the iPod's strong suit.

Currently, I own a Cowon iAudio X5L, which I've had for a couple of years now. When I was researching players, Cowon's were the ones who always received the rave reviews for sound quality, and I have to say, I completely agree.

The beauty about the Cowon products is the amount of "tweakability" you get on the player to make it sound exactly the way you like music to sound. There are user-controlled equalizers as well as BBE bass boost, which is awesome and I don't think comes on many, if any, other players.

The brand new Cowon S9 looks incredible and I'm trying to decide for myself currently if I want to make the switch to that one. It's actually got an updated BBE+ and has a OLED screen. Look it up on here, it's just recently been reviewed. It looks a lot like an iPhone and has a touch screen as well. The OLED screen should give an amazing small video picture. I'm doing all I can to get myself to hold off on buying one until they have a 30-32 GB version (currently it's either 8 or 16 GB, whereas my X5L is 30 GB).

Anyway, that's just my two cents on your question. If you bought the new S9, I think you'd probably be pretty thrilled with the sound quality you get from it. Good luck in your search! Happy

Collapse -
Not really true
by tarrytowner / January 14, 2009 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: Cowon!

Don't paint over ipods with too broad a brush. iPods generation 4, 5, and 5.5 all contain the Wolfson DAC chip, which is often found in rather hi fidelity D/A converters, and the internal wiring is alright. Granted, it's nowhere near audiophile quality un-hacked or un-wadia'd, but it still manages to walk over many other portable music players. In fact, if you want faithful reproduction of music from a portable, you can't get much better than the iPod classic, which delivers a very flat response across the hearable spectrum, in stark contrast to Cowons which generally cheat by boosting certain frequencies.

That all said, the Creative Zen is one of the only mp3 players that actually surpasses the iPod classic in low SNR and distortion. It's also ridiculously cheap, and features a gorgeous screen. Unless you're already tied down by iTunes, go with the zen.

Collapse -
Not really true
by hal-e / January 14, 2009 3:59 PM PST
In reply to: Not really true

Thanks,

I"ll search for zvm.

Collapse -
Hate to burst your bubble
by LinuxMaster9 / September 21, 2009 4:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Not really true

If you know what a DAC (digital to analog Converter) is then you will know that you can not get better sound out of it. Digital sound is "cleaned" sound, analog sound is "real/original" sound. when it comes to sound, analog is better because it is almost as if you are right there with them. When analog sound is converted to digital it is "cleaned". Meaning that any sounds not in our normal range of hearing is filtered out. So, that said, if you have a digital audio file, and convert it to analog, it is still the "cleaned" sound. Where as if you use a codec container known as either MKA or OGG which use static bit-rates, it simulates analog sound quality. The Ipod does not support OGG or MKA which the Cowon O2 does. The Cowon S9 supports OGG FLAC APE MP3 WMA WAV. When referring to mediocre sound quality, only audiophiles would be able to "show" you the difference, but I would have to say that after owning an Video Ipod 80 Classic and an Cowon D2, the D2 produced a far more accurate sound and was more enjoyable to listen to. Especially when listening to Ambient or Classical music.

Collapse -
I guess...
by jonasmikhail / October 11, 2009 2:46 AM PDT

They should be the same. The resistance matching must have influenced but that's too little (negligible) to affect the sound output to your headphone or component. I tried ipod/itouch and they sound great.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.