Cameras forum

General discussion

Which Lenses...

Ok, I think I've decided on the camera I'm getting via reviews on this site and others - the Canon Digital Rebel. Now that that parts done (and deciding took a considerable amount of time) I need to know what lenses to get. I know I'll need a macro and a telephoto, but there are different mm of each and I'm not good with understanding the lenses.
I'll describe I guess what I need them for:
1) Longdistance wildlife photography - birds in flight mostly
2) Closeup fish pictures with the subject no more than 2ft away, and closeup insect/other animal
3) I guess a general, good-for-most-anything (like family pics, etc), lens w/zoom

Now I don't have an unlimited supply of $$, but I don't want the cheapest stuff either. This isn't for pro-work or anything like that, but I'd like to produce good pictures.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. And, though this may be pushing it, if you have any example pics taken w/ the recommended lense that'd be superb.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Lenses...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Lenses...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Which Lenses...

In reply to: Which Lenses...

Welcome to the SLR camera ! Look like you need a variety of lenses, mostly zoom-lenses. If you have a budget to spend, I suggest that you go for most L-series lense.

1)For the long-distance photography, Canon 70-200 mm F2.8L is the most preferable. You can go for the longer focus length , such as 35-300 mm.

2) For the close up picture, you need the macro lense, such as Canon 100 mm Macro.

3) For the all-cover-up ( all purpose ), I suggest Canon 24-70 mm F2.8L.

If you can't spend that much for them. Canon 24-70 mm F2.8L or 17-40 mm is most desirable. I own and frequently tested them on with my old Canon EOS 5 and still quite happy with my Canon 24-70 mm,F2.8L and 70-200 mm,F2.8L . The picture quality is very good. The lenses are expensive, but worth the money , once you take it seriously. Good luck.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Which Lenses...

Thanks alot! Very helpful and I will look into those lenses.

Collapse -

In reply to: Which Lenses...

Ok, I probably should start a new thread... but I guess I'll post here and see if I get a response first.

Today I went to circuitcity to get a feel for the cameras. They had the Digital Rebel (6.3MP), but they also had the Sony Cyber Shot DSC-F828 (8MP) for about $300 cheaper. While I don't plan on getting it from circuit city, I was just wondering why this camera that should take better pictures was significantly cheaper than the Digital Rebel. I did like the Rebel's feel alot better and I don't think, though I don't know alot about it, that 8MP would be that different from 6.3 unless the picture was being blown up to poster size, which it won't in my case. Any ideas?

Collapse -

Well, there's quite a difference between a compact digital and DSLR camera. Sony DSC-F828 is in the same category as Konica Minolta Dimage D2 and Canon Powershot Pro1. Minolta Dimage, Canon Powershot, and Sony DSC are in the best compact digital camera. The size of sensor of these cameras are much smaller than that of DSLR camera, such as Canon Rebel. So, being DSLR means something. The more megapixel camera doesn't always guarantee the better quality of picture. Any SLR camera , whether digital or conventional, seems to provide the best picture quality. Consider the lense quality and filtering capability, light relecting ( in many event reduce noise & glare ), and bigger sensor ( for digital camera ) , DSLR camera mostly exceed the features compact cameras. I was quite surprised that Sony DSC is $300 cheaper than Canon Rebel ... I've checked many price lists. They're very close in the range of $50. Perhaps, I could be wrong ! Any way, choose whatever you 're happy with. Good luck.

Collapse -

I'm getting the digital rebel, but what you described it what surprised me. Even places online the rebel and the dimage are close in price, but THAT big of a difference I thought there HAD to be something wrong with the Minolta. I asked if they had it labeled right and they said yes, so idunno... I like the feel of the canon MUCH better and to me, that counts almost as much as the picture quality.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.