Cameras forum

General discussion

Which lens kit with 30D is better way to go?

I'm trying to decide between two of the pre-packaged camera kits offered just about everywhere which include either the 18-55mm lens or the 17mm-to-85mm lens. The price is a quite a bit higher for the 17-85 kit but I believe it also has IS with this lens. I plan on using the lens for most of my general day-to-day shots. Not sure if I need IS on this lens anyway. Which kit would be the better choice?
Thanks up front for any insight offered.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which lens kit with 30D is better way to go?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which lens kit with 30D is better way to go?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The 17-85 lense is a much better lense.

In reply to: Which lens kit with 30D is better way to go?

That's why the price is higher. I've never been able to see the effect of the IS when using the lense, and would not buy it solely for that feature. You usually don't save much on the packages. If you check the body only, and lense prices at B&H Photo and Video or Amazon.com, you should see that the 'package' costs about what the seperate parts do. You might want to select a different lense, and get the body only for the 30D. I would get a good, or high quality Canon lense rather than third party. I think Canon lenses are worth the additional money. Be sure the lense you get has the USM feature.

Collapse -
kit lens

In reply to: Which lens kit with 30D is better way to go?

If you don't need IS and the extra tele, the 18-55 mm will be adequate for day to day general purpose use. IS is useful when slower shutter speed is used (eg. low light situation or some special effect). A tripod always works better than IS, but much less convenient. The 17-85 mm IS is a better lens than 18-55 mm. But if you do most of your photos in bright day light or use flash, you probably won't notice much difference in regular size prints. If you have unsteady hands or plan on taking photos on moving vehicle, the IS may help you get better shots. The best general purpose lens for the 30D however is the EF-S 17-55 mm f/2.8 IS.

Collapse -
Thanks...

In reply to: kit lens

Thanks to you both, Kiddpeat and hjfok, for the insight. I'll probably just purchase the body and fret over which two or three lens to obtain for the majority of my use.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.