TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Which LCD to buy

by GettinUglysSon / January 28, 2009 5:23 AM PST

If you had the choice between the following tv's, and all were basically the same price, which would you choose and why:

Sony 42" LCD 1080p (model number KDL-42V4100)

Phillips 42" LCD 1080p 120hz (model number 42PFL7403D-F7)

or

46" Sharp Aquos LCD 1080p (don't have model number)

I've never had an HDTV (I just discovered fire, so I'm progressing rapidly), and am wondering if the 120hz will be that noticeable for me, or if I should just go with the bigger tv.

Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which LCD to buy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which LCD to buy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony
by bearvp / January 28, 2009 5:48 AM PST
In reply to: Which LCD to buy

Out of those 3, Sony makes a better LCD HDTV. However, if I were you I'd look into Samsung too because you could get a larger screen than 42" in a Samsung for about the same price as the 42" Sony. Bigger is better in terms of HDTVs.

Basically, Sony and Samsung are the only LCD companies you should be considering in the world of LCD. I'd opt for one with 120Hz because it will help with the motion blur during sportscasts.

Collapse -
Also consider Toshiba
by Dan Filice / January 28, 2009 8:29 AM PST

I own two Sony TVs so I am a huge fan of theirs. I needed a new TV for the bedroom and I planned on buying the "W" or "Z" series Sony because of the 120Hz and the 1080/24p capability. I would never buy a Philips. I did endless research for the new bedroom TV and after reading stellar reviews of the Toshiba 46XV540U, I purchased this set instead of the Sony. I bought it at Costco for $1199. Costco didn't have the 46" Sony, only 40", so this made me buy the Toshiba. Also, the Sony "Z" series that I wanted was abouit $800 more than the Toshiba. Well, after having the Toshiba for over a month and putting it through rigorous viewing, I can only say great things about this TV. No motion blur. No screen door effect. No pixel lag. Blacks are great (by CNET reviews, it matched Samsung), colors are excellent, looks really good when displaying SD content, blows me away when displaying Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray content, does 1080p/24, does 120HZ beautifully (CNET and other reviewers said the Toshiba does 120Hz better than Sony or Samsung), and the list goes on. Take it from someone who is obsessive compulsive about TVs...The Toshiba is a great TV. Just because Toshiba still makes stupid TVs that have built-in DVD players, doesn't mean they make 2nd rate TVs. At work we have multiple rooms that each have 20 Samsung LCD panels that have all been calibrated, and they all look different. Some look really "iffy". Just because it says Samsung, doesn't mean it can't be bettered. You ask why did the company buy Samsung? Price, otherwise we would have had Sony.

Collapse -
Thanks for the help
by GettinUglysSon / January 28, 2009 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: Also consider Toshiba

Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated.

Costco actually has a 42" Toshiba on sale right now that I was looking at. It has the 120hz, and I think is $999.99. Maybe I'll go with that one instead of the Philips.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
42" Toshiba
by Dan Filice / January 28, 2009 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the help

If you do get the Toshiba, let me know and I can send you the settings I have on my 46".

Dan

Collapse -
Settings
by GettinUglysSon / January 31, 2009 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: 42" Toshiba

I bought the 42" Toshiba, would you please send me the settings you use on your 46"? Thanks.

Collapse -
Toshiba Settings
by Dan Filice / February 2, 2009 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: Settings

Sorry, I've been out of town all Super Bowl weekend. Give me a day and I'll post the settings. But, the first thing you need to do is to take the TV off of the "DEMO" mode. When you first power-up your set, there is a menu that gives the option to do this, or look in the Manual to see how to do this.

Collapse -
My Toshiba Settings
by Dan Filice / February 3, 2009 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: Settings

OK, I'm at work, so I can't check these settings with the TV on, but here is what I made notes on:

Contrast: 60
Backlight: 50
Dynalight: ON
Brightness: 58
Color: 57
Tint: +3
Sharpness: 50
Dynamic Contrast: Middle
Static Gamma: 0
Color Temp: Medium
Cinema Mode: FILM (Can only be selected when using 480i and 1080i sources, like standard DVD player or your cable box).
Clear Frame: ON
Film Stabilization: STANDARD

Collapse -
Which LCD is the best????????
by lebloom / February 2, 2009 8:51 AM PST

I am also trying to figure out which 40" LCD to buy. I am mostly looking at the Sony models but have thought the Sharp Aquos also. With all of the different models out there its nerve racking. This is worse than looking for a new car. I want one that can be hooked to my PC and has 1080p not sure of the 120HZ since it seems they cost much more. If someone has a way to figure out which is the best I'd like to know. But I feel that the Sony models are the best but they are also the most expensive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?