Laptops forum

General discussion

Which Laptop to Choose?

by ut1988 / June 30, 2008 5:41 PM PDT

Im looking for a laptop with certain minimum requirements for the cheapest price possible. I would also like a reputable company, not one whose laptops break down and crash constantly. Can anyone give me any advice?

The minimum requirements are:

2GB Ram
100GB+ Hard Drive
Wireless
Discrete Graphics Card (256MB+)
At least 15" Screen

Thanks for the help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Laptop to Choose?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Laptop to Choose?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: choosing a laptop
by Kees Bakker / June 30, 2008 6:30 PM PDT

My questions:
1. Preference for an OS (XP, Vista, Mac OS X, Linux)?
2. Why the discrete graphics card? Laptops tend to have everything integrated and that works quite well for most applications (except heavy gaming).
3. No requirements for weight and battery life?

By the way, where do you live? Shops in the USA might have other prices than, say, in Argentina.

Kees

Collapse -
Laptop Preferences
by ut1988 / June 30, 2008 8:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: choosing a laptop

Im fine with any OS. I like them all, so the cheapest is prob the best.
I would like discrete graphics in case I do choose to do heavy gaming. I dont mind integrated graphics, but I would like 256MB, and not sure if thats available.
Obviously I would like it as light as possible with maximum battery life, but I dont mind too much. I suppose not too heavy with decent battery life, nothing too heavy or too short life.

Thanks

Collapse -
Laptop Preferences (edit)
by ut1988 / June 30, 2008 8:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Laptop Preferences

Sorry, I forgot to mention as well that I live in the UK, but will be in America for the next year, so either is good. Im also not looking for a desktop replacement, just a nice mid-sized laptop.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
Dell or Toshiba
by 77kool / June 30, 2008 9:36 PM PDT

I would try building a dell on their website or looking at Toshiba on their website.

Collapse -
Laptops
by Phil Crase / July 1, 2008 2:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell or Toshiba

Have to agree with that, either would be a good way to go, I like the Toshiba (which I have) but if you do the Dell build you can do a really nice system also, probably a bit pricier but maybe not, depending upon components chosen.

Collapse -
Dell Problem
by ut1988 / July 2, 2008 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptops

thanks for the advice so far.
my problem with Dell is that I have used their desktop PC's before, as well as some of their laptops and they crash and develop problems remarkably quickly and often. Id therefore like something more 'solid'. Ill look up Toshiba, but any other ideas as well? thanks

Collapse -
When I see crashing I....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2008 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell Problem

Often find a good reason for it. You would not believe (or would you?) how many times I find spwyare, P2P, Limewire or even simple hardware issues like clogged vents.

This is Windows and PCs are still far from maintenance free.
Bob

Collapse -
Toshiba Laptop (edit)
by ut1988 / July 2, 2008 6:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba Laptop

Sorry, I realised that link didnt work:

The other laptop was a customised A200 with these specs:

Intel Core Duo 2 T5750 (2GHz 2MB L2, 667MHz FSB)
ATI Mobility Radeon? HD 2600 with 256MB GDDR2 discrete memory
+ up to 255MB allocated shared graphics memory
2x 120GB HD 5400rpm
Intel

Collapse -
That looks to be a game machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2008 10:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba Laptop (edit)

Be sure to add a laptop cooling pad if you are playing games. Also I expect low battery times, hot surfaces.
Bob

Collapse -
Toshiba
by Phil Crase / July 2, 2008 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba Laptop (edit)

Similar to what I have, except that I am running a single 250gb HDD, and 17" display. LOVE the performance. Bob said you might want to get a chill matt, well with the INTEL processor, maybe not, running the AMD for sure. I don't use it for gaming, have biggee tower if I want to do that but for everything else it is quite close from a performance standpoint to the desktop, still amazes me. I have yet to have had a heating issue with the TOSHI it just runs and runs under all sorts of load.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.