General discussion

Which laptop to buy

I want to get a laptop to carry with me when I travel; I want to be able to watch movies on an airplane, do my e-mail, play flash type games on FB and do some simple photo editing (Picasa) and photo uploading while on vacation. I don't need a desktop replacement and sound is only important as far as the movies go.

Christine (who prefers a PC)

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Which laptop to buy
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Which laptop to buy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
WIth such light requirements.

Try the forum pickers at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19680_102-0.html?threadID=350349&tag=forums06;forum-threads

(Let's see if that Microsofty posts about the Microsoft picker which is listed in that link?)

Also, look at newegg.com and their picker. I like that because you can pick by price and get a listing of what's available today.

Off the top I'm thinking those Acer Timeline models might be a good idea. Most have 8 or more hour battery time.
Bob

- Collapse -
Which laptop to buy

Guess I'm leanig towards one of the Dell Inspirons (14" vs 15" screen?) and now the Studio 15. Any recommendations between these three? My present laptop is a Dell and it's just dies. I've gotten really good service from Dell so will probable stick with them. I do want Windows 7 as my operating system

- Collapse -
Those are fine.

I'm surrounded by Dells at the office. I found 17 too large, 14 too small and landed at 15.6 inches (Goldilocks?)

You should be able to see such size machines at retail stores to narrow it done.
Bob

PS. All Windows 7 64 bit at home and office now. That was fast.

- Collapse -
laptop suggestion

Hi Chris,

As Bob suggested, the laptop pickers can be very helpful in narrowing down your choices.

The Dell Studio 15 could be a good option for you. It has multi-media capabilities and it is portable (5.5 lbs) but still has a nice sized screen.

There are plenty of other options depending on what other specs you have in mind so I recommend exploring different PC brands and models and comparing their features until you find one you really like!

I hope this helps!

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

CNET Forums

Forum Info