General discussion

Which laptop should I purchase? Quick reply appreciated

I'm looking at two laptops currently. You can recommend others if you want.
Dell Studio Laptop $999.99
# Intel

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Which laptop should I purchase? Quick reply appreciated
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Which laptop should I purchase? Quick reply appreciated
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Both

Are nearly identical in respect to the cpu and "parts." The sony usually wins the beauty competition so I'd want you to do two tests.

Look at the display and which can you live with?

Use the keyboard and does either one make you think "I can't use this!"

Now you can decide.
Bob

- Collapse -
About Sony support.

If there is something learned about sony support it is simple. If you change the OS in any way, they walk. We saw this over the years with no drivers for machines for XP, Vista, 7 etc. Sony tends to issue a machine with an OS and if you change it you learned to never expect supporting drivers. This alone has some a little upset over support.

Outside of that, I rank their support as bad as everyone elses.
Bob

- Collapse -
All considered

All considered, like Bob said, they're nearly identical. The Dell is a bit cheaper and has a better video card, bigger screen, and a higher capacity battery. Of course that adds to the overall weight of the system.

I'd give the nod to Dell, mostly due to the numerous horror stories I have heard about getting any kind of support out of Sony. Dell isn't always the easiest company to deal with, but compared to what I've heard about Sony, it's a breeze.

CNET Forums

Forum Info