HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Which laptop has a good graphics card?

by bernie_wong / August 20, 2005 9:05 PM PDT

hi everybody,

im looking for a laptop with a good graphics card, but not the high end ones.
does anyone know a laptop with a pretty good graphics card with a screen thats 15.4 inch?

the inspiron 9300 is really good but i think its to bulky to carry around, not really my type. Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which laptop has a good graphics card?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which laptop has a good graphics card?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In about 10 years time...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2005 10:28 PM PDT

I can't say I've run into a namebrand laptop with a video card that I would dismiss as not able to meet your requirements.

Bob

Collapse -
find the best one u can find and get it
by 101Ares / August 21, 2005 11:29 AM PDT

get the best video card u can find u wont be able to upgrade it later. but tell us what type of games u will be playing. anyway what is "good" in ur book.

Collapse -
by bernie_wong / August 21, 2005 3:53 PM PDT

the games i want to run are like , counter strike source and bf2.

the cards that ive come across that suit my liking are: the geforce 6600Go and ati mobility x700. but the video card i really like is of course the nvidia 6800GO but the laptops that have that graphics card have a very big screen, 17INCH.

is there a laptop with the 6800GO but with a 15.4inch screen?

Collapse -
....17inch....
by 101Ares / August 21, 2005 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: reply

all of the notebooks i have seen with a 6600 or a 6800 so far have a 17inch screen. i thought i saw one 15.4 but it was 14lb. i think. my recomendation is get a desktop for that preformance. but if u realy realy want to get a gamming notebook dont expect to carry it much. my recomendation for a notebook is the 9300 its the lightest out of the pcs with 6600-6800 cardes and enjoy the 17inch (make sure to get the truebright and the high res). also i bealive dell has a 6800ultra in there 9300 go for it it looks ausome! p.s. u might want to buy a laptop cooler thing the 9300 MUST be hot.
:')

Collapse -
by bernie_wong / August 21, 2005 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: ....17inch....

i have a pretty decent computer its just i want to purchase a laptop at the end of the year.

i heard from a friend that u can not purchse dell laptops at shops but purchase them through their website, is that true??

oh and another question, are there any other laptops that are as good as the inspiron 9300?

Collapse -
Dell sells only online but offer mall kiosks for trying them
by KenSanramon / August 22, 2005 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

Yes, Dell has achieved its success by selling only over the internet (so no money is paid to retailers) and also by having very small supplies of components on hand (thus saving storage costs and also not getting stuck with out of date components).

HP/Compaq is trying to figure out how to adapt to the Dell model but no other company has replicated it so far.

Dell desktops are top notch but their notebooks while in the mix are not at the level as the desktops which are often assembled in the US.

The consumer Dell support is overseas and the assemby of the notebooks is in China by contract manufacturers just as HP/Compaq and most other notebook companies are (and Lenovo now has bought IBM's computer division so they are in China on all levels).

You can visit a Dell kiosk in a mall to try out the notebooks. Dell was in Costco in the 1990's for awhile but again Dell finds the profit margins better selling exclusively online.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.