Laptops forum

General discussion

which laptop

by tattimann / February 2, 2006 10:40 AM PST

I was wondering which laptop is good for watching movies, doing work and aorund $1600 canadian

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
which laptop
by jbeck918 / February 2, 2006 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: which laptop

Take a good look at the hp pavilion dv5020us....does all that and more..just bought two...and with rebates each cost not much more than half of that..

Collapse -
Any of the dv or v2000 series.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2006 10:52 AM PST

CND$ is almost at par with US$ so shop for the v2000 series. My neighbor picked up their second v2000 series. This one was 750US and had the usual 1.8GHz Turion, widescreen, 512MB RAM, dual layer DVD recorder, wifi, more and plays movies very nicely.

Bob

Collapse -
Dell XPS M140
by dkokelley / February 3, 2006 4:55 AM PST

The XPS M140 from Dell is probably a good choice. It comes with the "instant on" type tecnology which will allow you instant access to videos, pictures and music, without having to go through the 60 second boot process. Secondly, it can play high definition videos just fine for the screen it has (WXGA, 1280x800, 14 inch), and although I don't own one (I'm considering it though) I've seen firsthand the quality of the videos it plays. It also includes windows media center edition which can be configured with the tv tuner so you can use the system as a DVR, as well as play them back on the lovely screen. It also includes decent speakers, and medie conrol buttons on the front of the system, so you can control your media without even bothering to reach for the mouse (or even the notebook! If you decide to get the remote control)!

There is a downside to this system though, it does not (as of 2/3/06) have the option to get a dedicated graphics card, so you're stuck with integrated intel graphics. This will be fine unless you want to be playing games or generating graphic intensive images. If you will be playing anything but the most basic games I would stay away from the system. However, you said that you only wanted it for work around the house and the playback of DVDs, so this should be fine for you.

It's priced at about $750-$1500 US, and I don't know exactly how that translates to Canadian. But it seems to suit your needs just fine (and if you get the extended 9 cell battery, you can get up to 7 hours of battery life!)

Well, goodluck with finding a good system!

Collapse -
The XPS aren't 64 bits
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / February 3, 2006 8:04 AM PST
In reply to: Dell XPS M140

All Dell laptops aren't 64 bits technology so it's not a good investment for the future. Okay ! Dell's are well built and have many control buttons... But you must also look for the future !

any Pavilion DV from HP and the Presatio V2000Z/V5000Z series form Compaq should be fine for you. HP have a nice after-sale service and a beautiful quality built.

Collapse -
h.p. dv5020us
by jbeck918 / February 3, 2006 10:27 AM PST
In reply to: The XPS aren't 64 bits

The dv 5020us from h.p. includes:
AMD Turion 64 bit mobile processor 1.8gz
80 gig hard drive
1024mb of 333mhz ddr
ati radeon express graphics
expresscard/54 pc card slot
expansion port 2
15.4" wxga high definition brightview widescreen
54g 802.11b/g wlan

It is a VERY nice laptop,great performance,solid,awesome graphics,H.P's great support.Granted, battery life is a little short with the 6 cell battery supplied(a 12 cell is available). we get about 2 1/4 hours average.I can't say enough about it,it has taken what I've thrown at it and not even blinked.AND...I paid $849 at Circuit City with rebates.
At that price, I got one for both kids!!Check it out and see if it meets your needs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.