HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Which Is The Best OS??? Is It Mac Or Win Or Linux???

by mayureshlele / October 8, 2007 6:02 PM PDT

There Are No Viruses In A Mac....
But Win ??????
The Gui Of Mac Is Thousand xxxxx Better Than Win.....
The Browser Is Faster And Better But Win....Slow.....Very Slow...Very Slowx10000000
Even The Office Apps Of Mac Are Better Than Win...
iWork Is Definitely More sophisticated Than win...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Is The Best OS??? Is It Mac Or Win Or Linux???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Is The Best OS??? Is It Mac Or Win Or Linux???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some possible criteria.
by Kees Bakker / October 8, 2007 6:11 PM PDT

The best OS is the OS that supports all your hardware.
The best OS is the OS that lets you run all your software.
The best OS is portable. Ever tried to run OS X on a IBM Z-series?
The best OS is the one with the least security patches in the last year.

Kees

Collapse -
Those Apple choices are your personal opinions
by orlbuckeye / October 8, 2007 9:01 PM PDT

1. Windows is a better gaming machine 2. Windows allows you to get into the OS. Because of this it's easier to get viruses but also easier to taylor the OS. I've not had a virus on my windows machines in years. 3 Windows is a better machine for business, Apple better for video editing. 4 Windows machines are cheaper and more readily available.

Collapse -
Options yes, but Windows isn't superior
by tleMega / October 10, 2007 11:42 AM PDT

Hello? Vista has had the most problems since its debut. Have you ever heard of a down-grade ot OS X Panther from Tiger? No, but MS is doing that for Vista to XP. You can run Windows on a Mac with seamless effort too. Apple is great for more than video editing. Music, photos, anything that is normally labeled entertainment. Productivity is also great on it, better than MS productivity in some ways. Mac OS X has a UNIX core giving it more security as well. Gaming is very good on a Mac; games are just limited for it, but with Boot Camp or related programs, you can run games through XP or Vista just as well as on a Win box.

Sony, HP, and sometimes Dell make the best PCs for most people (excluding the super expensive companies such as Voodoo). Sony is too pricey; the cheapest MacBook at $1099 is vastly more capable than some $1800 Sony equivalent with a similar 13 inch screen. HP Pavillions are OK... not great. HP's corporate machines have proven to be much better performance wise (but not as good in entertainment...). Dell makes some cheap quality machines. Yu can argue with that statement as much as you like, but it's my opinion, or truth lol.

In my experience of being a moderate Windows user for a decade and a devoted Mac user for much shoret than that, it's no comparison. OS X doesn't crash; it's more user-friendly; it's really good if you put Apple prejudice aside. XP is great. Seriously. But the only thing that MS has rolled out that's worthwhile was the Xbox and the Xbox 360. And of course MS Office. Vista is horrible. No argument.

If you want to get a cheap machine that works okay and can run all of your basic stuff, get a Win box at a BB or CC. Maybe even Staples or CompUSA. Linux is great, but I see it as a compromise between OS X and Windows. OS X is my best OS, but choose what you like.

Sorry for the long post. LOL,
-BMF

Collapse -
I dispute what you say about Apple and business.
by orlbuckeye / October 10, 2007 8:41 PM PDT

My company has over 2000 computers for business application and not one Apple. In fact I've been in the work force for awhile and have never seen an Apple used for business applications. I'm a systems analyst. I have no problem with Vista and I have it on 3 computers. Have you ever used Vista?

Collapse -
I didn't mention business
by tleMega / October 11, 2007 7:57 AM PDT

I said it works well with productivity. I prefer to use Office 04 on my Mac than Office 03 on my PCs. But I haven't tried the new 07 suite which is supposed to be good. Windows is great for business. I didn't say it wasn't. Macs can do it all too. The point of my previous post was to point out that Windows isn't vastly superior to UNIX OS's.
I'm not trying to trash MS either. I have tested Vista on different PCs at stores and etc., and I actually like the interface of it better than XP. What prevents me from buying it is hardware limitations and several bugs that I've heard about... But everyone's got their own opinions. I use XP everyday, so I'm accustomed to that.

If Vista works for you, great. But I think it's bad for an OS if the manufacturer allows "down-grades". That's just sad.
After using Office for Mac and iWork stuff, you can't argue that Macs have great potential for business and what-not. They work efficiently for the same purposes that PCs do. I've seen some small businesses that use Macs. I have yet to see a company like yours use them on a scale of 2000 though.
Each OS is different. You can like one, but each person tends to criticize the other. Personal opinions always decide which to choose. You can agree with me or not.

-BMF

Collapse -
No I agree with you.
by orlbuckeye / October 11, 2007 8:42 PM PDT

My work is going through a PC replacement program and we are receiving the PC's with Vista and we are installing images of XP. We haven't tested Vista enough to use it. One decision we did make was to use Office 2007 which hasn't been a kind thing. Some of our applications that do mail merges and document creation are bombing out. We're having problems with older Access apps working with 2007. The features of office are great but the new technology hasn't been tested fully with the other software vendors.

Collapse -
And that's my point.
by tleMega / October 12, 2007 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: No I agree with you.

You don't have to love Mac OS X, but that doesn't mean you should dismiss it as a great OS. Same goes for Micorsoft. Vista was a dud, Leopard is going to be great (I hope... LOL Happy ). Of course OS X has its own problems, but not too many people talk about them I suppose.

Microsoft = work + entetainment with the 360, Apple = everything. A flawed set of "equations" but one can agree with these. Sure, you may have trouble with Vista or the new software, but hey, MS has always been used in the workplace. You can't say that MS or Apple is better than the other without a biased opinion... or should I say that it's really hard to do so? Me, I have nothing but frustration snd problems when it comes to PCs, so Macs work for me better. Some people see the other side. Linux... used be some but not too many of your average people are going to know about it. Everyone can agree on that thy're isn't a perfect OS and that MS and Apple are just two different viewpoints of the story.

Too bad we can't say which side has the greenest grass LOL. They're not better than each other, just different.
-BMF

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.