Cameras forum

General discussion

which is the best, canon sd850, sd870, sd800, sd950, sd900..

by lisa.s.25 / November 20, 2007 10:35 AM PST

I mainly take pictures of stuff like people, animals, sports, landscape, or mainly just any spur of the moment pictures that i feel like taking. I also take lots of short videos. Which canon digital camera do you think would be the best, sd850, sd870, sd800, sd950, or sd900?? Also i would really appreciate if you could list your reasons why they are good or bad for what im looking for. Thanks so much!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which is the best, canon sd850, sd870, sd800, sd950, sd900..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which is the best, canon sd850, sd870, sd800, sd950, sd900..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon SD series
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 20, 2007 12:06 PM PST

It is not a matter of which is better because they all produce almost identical photos.

It is a matter of choosing one that has the features you want.

First the SD870 is replacing the SD800.
Both have a wide angle lens (28mm focal length)

The rest of the cameras have a more normal focal length (around 35,36,37 mm).

All the camera have image stabilization........except the SD900.

The SD870 has the largest LCD (3" but no optical viewfinder).

Here is a comparison of specifications:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sd800is%2Ccanon_sd850is%2Ccanon_sd870is%2Ccanon_sd900%2Ccanon_sd950is&show=all

Collapse -
hmmm...
by QW55 / November 20, 2007 4:55 PM PST

SD950, 870 and 850 are all good cameras but are somewhat pricier ($300-400 for 870 and 850, but up to $450 for 950). 950 IS - do you need 12 megapixels for giant prints? If you don't then it will be actually a burden, since 12 MP will make the camera slow. 850 and 870 are good, but I personally like the 870 because of the large screen and wide lens and it's somewhat more stylish. I'd consider 870 IS-wide lens is great feature on any camera. Unless you want a 12 MP or want to pay a LITTLE less for the 850 I'd get the 870 IS. Also if you're getting a compact and don't ABSOLUTELY need a Canon, you might want to consider the vastly cheaper Sony W80 or, if you're all right with a price of $490, the Nikon D40 DSLR. Don't let the D40's 6 MP fool you - it can make great 10 X 16 inch prints.

Collapse -
oops
by QW55 / November 20, 2007 4:59 PM PST
In reply to: hmmm...

Oops, I forgot about something - MOVIES. DSLR - no movies. So that's out of the question. You might want to see a Canon S5 IS for movies - they're great movies and it's about $400-450.

Collapse -
question
by lisa.s.25 / November 21, 2007 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: oops

Ok well the main reason that im only looking into canon cameras is because i have a couple cousins who have them and they are both happy with them. The thing is im asking for this camera for christmas and the prices are higher then my parents really want to pay. Do you have any suggestions for another brand of camera that is as good or even better then canon and is cheaper??

Collapse -
Sony, Canon are good, maybe Panasonic...
by QW55 / November 21, 2007 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: question

Sony's Cyber-shots can be great - just be sure to choose the right one, like the Sony W80 which I own. I'm really happy with it! Try them out at a store - Sony's better menus are definitely a plus. How much is your budget actually? Because the SD870 IS is a good buy for about $320. Otherwise, Sony's Cyber-shot is slim and handy. Casio has cool features but is reputed to have poor pix quality, and Panasonic has a great lens and handy features.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.