Computer Help forum

General discussion

Which is it, you can upgrade from XP to Vista or ..........

by Dango517 / March 18, 2009 3:47 PM PDT

you can downgrade from Vista to XP?

Seems you me it has been said here in the forums that you can't do both. (John maybe?) Kernel differences between Vista and XP was the the problem as I recall. I believe it was, you can't down grade from Vista to XP. Is this correct? (Please provide resource links if possible to confirm this if true.)

Here's why I ask. Recently I stumbled upon a help forum overrun with requests (85%) for XP drivers to be used after Vista too XP downgrades. All the drivers should be in the XP OS and any additional drivers would be provided through XP updates from Microsoft after the XP OS installation, with the exception of perhaps a few. These request run the Gamut from the top to the bottom of "Device Manager, from A to B and everywhere in between from port drivers to CPUs. What's up with this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which is it, you can upgrade from XP to Vista or ..........
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which is it, you can upgrade from XP to Vista or ..........
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you have the optical media . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 18, 2009 7:56 PM PDT

that contains the Operating System, you can do either. You just format the hard drive and install the OS.

Drivers for what? XP and Vista contain basic drivers for a lot of hardware, but only very general and basic. A high end video card driver will not be in the OS. But if the OS is "on line" it should get the drivers albeit basic only.

I installed W7 beta on a little Compaq Evo. It collected the drivers for the on board video and audio.

Collapse -
For what .................
by Dango517 / March 19, 2009 2:03 AM PDT

from previous post:

"These request run the Gamut from the top to the bottom of "Device Manager, from A to B and everywhere in between from port drivers to CPUs. What's up with this?"

Collapse -
Downgrading is a license issue and ...

if you buy a system that comes pre-installed with any version of Vista other than Vista Business or Vista Ultimate (in other words you cannot downgrade any of the home versions of Vista) and for your edification here is a link that explains this in detail -
Windows Vista Downgrade Rights - Microsoft PDF File

On the other hand there is nothing stopping you from going out and purchasing a retail FULL INSTALL version of XP and installing it on the new Vista Home computer (other than having to locate all necessary board and peripheral drivers for the older OS). This would leave you with both the original OEM Vista license that lives and dies with the computer it was pre-installed on and a retail version of XP that you could uninstall from the computer then install and activate on a new computer as some later point in time should you so desire.

Collapse -
Why this?
by Dango517 / March 19, 2009 3:32 AM PDT

From previous post:

"(other than having to locate all necessary board and peripheral drivers for the older OS). "

Generic drivers are included in the OS. Windows updates could provide the majority of the rest. Graphics, audio and adapter drivers could be an exception however, in some cases.

Any chance the newer "vista" compatibility machines are having problems making the downgrade? Some hardware driver compatibility problem perhaps. (links please to reputable sources.)

This glut of driver issues comes in two classes old (5 years+)PC/Laptops and new PCs/Laptops. The older ones are understandable. These operate with often obsolete OSs like Windows ME, 98, 95.

How about the new ones?

If this forum had this volume of driver problems to deal with we would be doing little but looking up drivers for people, we're not. Why the difference?

Collapse -
Did I read that right?
by Dango517 / March 19, 2009 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Why this?

Most Vista OSs can't be downgraded at all to XP Legally and when it can, only to specific XP products. This being true I would speculate that attempting to do this illegally would create hardware manufacturer authorization problems as well as activation and/or validate problems at Microsoft and therefore in effect block the installation of XP on most PCs.

As you mentioned, unless, it was bought from a store, "over the counter" so to speak, as a stand alone purchase made separate from a PC.

Thank you very much for this information.

Collapse -
I Can Do Either On Our Vista Business Machines..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 19, 2009 4:23 AM PDT

In the last couple of months, I've set up 5 or 6 different Vista Business downgrades to XP Pro SP2.. In essence, you purchase the computer with either of the operating systems installed at the factory.. Since we still are wanting to use XP Pro in our network, all the computers come with XP, all drivers, and all programs preinstalled at the factory.. Although I always create a Recovery Disc immediately after starting the computer for the first time, we receive BOTH Vista Business and XP PRO installation discs with the package. If I chose to do so, I could upgrade or downgrade at will..

The only problems with drivers come when a downgrade to XP is attempted from a version of Vista which doesn't have downgrade rights.. This is nothing new and such discussions have taken place in OUR Vista forum as well.. See the link below for just one such long discussion..:

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?