Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

which is better ? MS office or Open Office 3 ??

by AM_SOS / December 29, 2008 2:44 AM PST

hello all,

i have just downloaded the OpenOffice.org 3 office applications package. it seems quite nice without too much difference from the usual MS Office layout and other features.

however, since i do not know a lot about these packages, i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how these two stack up against each other?

what are the big pluses and minuses of OpenOffice.org 3 as compared to MS Office 2003?

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which is better ? MS office or Open Office 3 ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which is better ? MS office or Open Office 3 ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two students of mine ...
by Kees Bakker / December 29, 2008 2:59 AM PST

did kind of a research project into this, and found little overall difference. If anything, they liked OO 3.0 better than MS Office 2003.

Kees

Collapse -
Yes there are pluses and minuses for both
by ChuckT / December 29, 2008 5:33 AM PST

I have both, and many different versions of both, yet you have to know that there is no one winner.

Big plus for OpenOffice is that is is free. That is a big, Big, BIG PLUS!

Big plus for MS Office is that is is a defacto standard, and almost any business can correctly handle the files you create with it.

But OpenOffice can create all of the defacto standard format files that MS Office can create, once you set up the OpenOffice to do so. Otherwise it wants to save files in a (what should be) standard format unlike what MS office does.

Another plus for OpenOffice is that it can create .PDF files directly, where otherwise a secondary tool may be needed to use against the MS Office applications.

You make the choice as to what is important to you.

Collapse -
Oh, and then there's templates in MS Office
by ChuckT / December 29, 2008 5:41 AM PST

One real nice thing with a complete installation of MS Office is the templates that they also install on your computer. Those templates and easy methods to acquire more through the Internet are nicely organized with MS Office.

Installing OpenOffice, has very few, if any, templates to start with. You can easily Google for, and find, templates that may work with OpenOfficev (many MS Office templates MAY work). But it is not as intrinsic as what comes preinstalled with MS Office.

Of course that is weighing a 100MB free download (OpenOffice) against an approximate 700MB installation (it varies) of MS Office.

Collapse -
Just recently I clocked a fresh install of 2003
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 6:04 AM PST

To be some 400 megabytes of updates after it installed. I can't imagine we would count that against the first install?

This was a pristine Office 2003 install. The CD had zero patches or service releases....

Collapse -
What's a few hundred megabytes? between friends
by ChuckT / December 29, 2008 6:21 AM PST

Bob, you're calling me on the pure guesstimate of the installation of MS office?!

There are so many versions of MS office, with different quantities of space requirements, with so many other for updates and support files, that I felt pretty safe needsis GUESSing the 700MB size of MS Office. Should I have added, (no!, I SHOULD have added), "your space requirements may vary" stipulation to what I had said. Sorry. Happy

On my install here, which is MS Office Pro Plus 2007, I see that the "Program files" Microsoft Office folder is about 540MB. But once I had installed it, I seem to remember that there was an excess of over 130MB of updates that I also then had to download. Some or most of those files were subsequently cleared and/or removed, but there was a period of time that the MS Office was taking up more than 700MB. Thankfully a gigabyte here, or there, is no biggie anymore!

Really, not upset or anything, but I thought it curious as: why mention the installation difference?

Collapse -
What I wanted to point out is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 9:49 PM PST

With the download being so large after MS Office was installed, you wonder what was left from the first install. There is a thought that distribution on CD/DVD may soon pass.
Bob

Collapse -
We are just talking here
by ChuckT / December 30, 2008 5:18 AM PST

I just checked (before I was only talking from vague recollection, a GUESStimate) the actual size of the MS Office Ultimate 2007 .iso download, that I got from MS, it is 545MB.

Also, the Office Suite 2007 English SP1 (a .exe file) is 223MB.

I don't think the selling of Office 2007 is going away, but from all that I have heard, the next "big thing" in the MS Office arena will be "cloud computing." That is where people will not be installing Office applications of their computer anymore. Instead you will work with the apps through the Internet. That is what the free Google Docs, and Google Spreadsheets already do.

But, because the current cadre of office applications is such a cash cow for MS, they are not about to let their Office Cloud be free. So, MS will most likely have some sort of Internet access charges using the Office Cloud. I wonder how that will work? Should be interesting.

Collapse -
The Frozen Cloud.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2008 6:14 AM PST

Or about those that are not able to use it. I'm thinking of those in far flung places like most of the world. Cloud computing makes sense in Redmond, WA but so few other places.

Sorry, that's a no sale here.
Bob

Collapse -
Scattered clouds
by ChuckT / December 30, 2008 6:52 AM PST
In reply to: The Frozen Cloud.

I would imagine that MS is going to think this whole thing through very throughly. To have a single place with "Office Cloud Servers" would seem very much a bottleneck. They will have to have the cloud distributed to servers all over the world. I would even guess they are going to have to provide for those people who are not connected to the Internet, at the time, so that those people can create and edit Office documents to. So, then once the Internet connection is made the syncing is done.

I have no insight, no connections, as to what or how they plan to implement this idea. But it is sure that if they do not come up with some better ideas than $200 to $600 Office suites (depends upon the versions, of course) to combat the free OpenOffice and Google Docs, then MS is going to lose.

Collapse -
Let me be clearer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2008 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: Scattered clouds

I have some contacts that live in places like Shemya Island, Orange County, CA, and many places that you can't get to the internet or it's too expensive. Today, for now, call me a doubter.

Back on topic, Microsoft is combatting the open office but not in the retail channels unless we talk about the Student versions. The Ultimate Steal is worth looking at.
bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?