General discussion

which is better for video format - H.264 or AVI?

i want to convert my AVCHD files to either H.264 or AVI? which one is better when it comes to video quality?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: which is better for video format - H.264 or AVI?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: which is better for video format - H.264 or AVI?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
AVI & h.264 are not rival formats
- Collapse -
sorry about AVI..

i have this video converter that can convert M2TS to HD file formats.. but under the category of HD Conversion, there are lots of different kind of HD outputs..

there is HD-H.264, HD-MPEG4 & HD-AVI... so.. among these.. which is the best?

- Collapse -
Not sure

It's still the case that AVI & MPEG4 (HD or not) are containers, whereas h264 is just the video part, i.e. no audio. As far as I know, there are no true formats called HD-H.264, HD-MPEG4 & HD-AVI. I'd imagine that the HD prefix just means that you'll retain blu-ray image resolution and possibly audio quality.

So you still need to find out what video & audio formats those options include and also you'll need to check what your TV or blu-ray player (I'm assuming you'll be playing them on one of these as you're in this forum and talking about HD) can accept. Or you could just try a disc converted in the various options and see what works for you - there's a lot of personal preference when it comes to video & audio!

I use DVDFab and rip my blu-rays to AVI with h.264 video and AC3 audio (my TV - grrr - doesn't accept DTS or any HD audio). I could also choose the MKV container with the same video & audio, but for me there is no advantage in doing this.

CNET Forums

Forum Info