PC Hardware forum

General discussion

which is better faster 512mb or slower 756mb

by dss382 / July 27, 2008 2:27 PM PDT

I know ultimately it depends on how the system is used and whether or not more than 512mb of memory is often needed/used but in general on a desktop running windows XP for the average user would you go with 756mb of pc2100 at 266mhz memory or less but faster with 512mb of pc2700 at 333mhz Recommendations or conclusions welcomed! Thanks in advance.

Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which is better faster 512mb or slower 756mb
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which is better faster 512mb or slower 756mb
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
also option 2
by dss382 / July 27, 2008 2:32 PM PDT

756mb of pc2100 at 266mhz or 512mb or pc3200 at 400mhz out of those two option would you go with more at a slower speed or less at a much faster speed?

Collapse -
Memory
by Phil Crase / July 28, 2008 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: also option 2

More is better to some degree, Win xp runs well on 1gb and if the MB supports 3200, that is what I would run. Since you are sharing video and audio memory off of the ram (unless you run separate cards)more is better. As far as speed goes, well, again more is better.

Collapse -
Depends on the rest of your system
by Steven Haninger / July 28, 2008 4:10 AM PDT

If the design is to run at a max off 266 or 333 mhz, 400 mhz RAM speeds up nothing because it's being clocked at a lower speed anyway. System performance slows as Windows starts needing more and more virtual memory. It's certainly possible that more RAM at a slower speed rather than less at a higher speed would be an advantage in some situations. Maybe you want to tell more about your system, what you generally do with it and what performance problems you are having.

Collapse -
the rest of the system
by dss382 / July 28, 2008 7:24 AM PDT

I am updating a Dell Dimension 2350 for somebody. The system of course started out with just 128mb of pc2100 and now is at 256mb of pc2100. Didn't know if I should just spend the $30 for her and get 512mb of pc2700 and add it. Of course it is not dual channel and I realize the pc2700 will run at the pc2100 speed but the price is the same and for that matter the price for the pc3200 is pretty much the same as well. I just couldn't decide whether to ultimately run 756mb at 266mhz or 512 at 400mhz and for basic computing tasks which would work overall better for her. If it were up to me she would have 1GB of pc2700 but don't think she wants to spend $60 + I don't think she does much more then web browsing, e-mails, spreadsheets and things of that nature and therfore figured 756mb of ram should be sufficient just wasn't sure how much pc2100 would negativlely impact compared to just 512mb at 333mhz or 400mhz

Collapse -
Well, if the PC 2100 was already running
by Steven Haninger / July 28, 2008 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: the rest of the system

at the fastest clock speed of the MB, it would make no difference to change to faster RAM. If you are adding to existing RAM, it's probably better to match what's already in the system. My guess from what you've said is that she has two slots populated with 128 megs and you are going to populate the other two with another 1/2 gig but might consider faster RAM and toss the other two modules. My gut tells me the biggest gain would be by simply adding another 256 megs of what's already in the system to bring it to 1/2 meg at pc2100. Making it 756 megs would be only slightly better than 512. I'm thinking the 512 at PC 2100 or 3200 would be equal because the system is probably not going to take advantage of faster RAM anyway. There wouldn't be much sense in considering that faster RAM would be useful for future upgrades because that type isn't current technology.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?