Cameras forum

General discussion

Which is better -Canon A-95 or A 520/510

by vik_calif73 / April 6, 2005 4:49 AM PDT

Hi Friends,

I have had a Canon Rebel 2000 SLR for last few yrs. Its been a great camera and now i plan to upgrade to a digital.. I am looking at the following 2 cameras:

Canon A95 - 5 MP/3x optical zoom
Canon A520 - 4 MP/4x Optical zoom

These 2 seems to be good ones as per the reviews.. The Canon A95 is old so i got a lot of reviews on it but not much on A520... Can you please tell me which would be a good camera for me. I am looking for the one which gives me auto as well as manual capabilties and need a good pic quality. only 1 negative review i have heard about these canon's is the red eye problem and battery drainage in A-95...

Please share your comments and als suggest if u can tell me some other good camera. I am buying one this week itself !!

Thnx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which is better -Canon A-95 or A 520/510
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which is better -Canon A-95 or A 520/510
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon A520 & A95
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 5:52 AM PDT

Here are two reviews on the A520:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona520/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a520.html

When you look at sample photos from the two cameras, there is little difference. You can see a bit more detail on the A95 - due to the extra megapixel.

The 4X zoom on the A520 looks good.

I see one thing that bothers me:

The A75, A85 and A95 have average shutter lag (0.6 sec).

The A510 and A520 reviews are showing the A510 and A520 to have shutter lags of 0.9 second.

That is disappointing.

Collapse -
Shutter lag....
by vik_calif73 / April 8, 2005 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon A520 & A95

Hi Snapshot,

You quoted :

" The A510 and A520 reviews are showing the A510 and A520 to have shutter lags of 0.9 second.

That is disappointing."

Can u give me more inputs... I am still confused between a 520/510 and Canon A95. Since A520 is new there are no reviews about the camera and all i can see are the Canon A-95 reviews....:(

Collapse -
?????????
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 8, 2005 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Shutter lag....

Your statement:

"Since A520 is new there are no reviews about the camera."

There are two links in my reply (above this one).

Both links are for Canon A520 reviews.

???????

Collapse -
canon a510
by ron stewart / April 29, 2005 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Shutter lag....

i have a canon a10,a70,a510 and a g5.all cameras are excellant. shutter lag on the a510 is no different than the others. go to Steves digicam and look at the specs

Collapse -
In Doubt A95/A520
by pratipsen / May 3, 2005 8:36 AM PDT

Yeah I share the same confusion as u do ....

A95
Pros: 5 MP, Great reviews
Cons: . a bit old, heavy, 3x zoom, shutter lag, Date and time only in 1600X_ . Not avaible in others.

General: Great for marcos, close ups, Doubtful about the long dist shots, nature-scenery

A520

Pros:. New, 2 AA batt, 4x zoom
Cons: 4MP, Lesser review (all reviews suggest u to buy A95),

My Op: I compared the Pics @ Steve's and Dpresource (Idownloaded them and Open separately) - there was really not much diff between the two - infact if you see the pics in dpreview the clarity of A520 is better. Caveat: Take lighting, sunshine into account when comparing!

Any suggestions?

Collapse -
canon a520 vs a95
by ron stewart / May 21, 2005 11:40 PM PDT

u will love the a95 and will be just ok with the a520. a520 recycle time for flash is a min of 10 sec. very bad. the 140 zoom is too long for portraits but ok for sports. i hace a a10,a70 a510. i prefer the a70 over thr a510. u can buy thr a95 ay newegg.com for 269. not bad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?