Laptops forum

General discussion

Which is best?

by lotteda / August 16, 2004 3:03 AM PDT

Currently I am in the market for a new laptop. My needs are fairly simple - some digital video and picture editing, and then using programs like word, excel, and powerpoint, and wireless networking. Furthermore, I'd like to be able to store larger media files. A DVD burner would be nice, but my research has shown it is more expensive and not many laptops offer it.

While speaking with several different people, someone mentioned Mac, specifially an iMac. They gave an extremely glowing report that honestly made me wonder why everyone isn't using Mac nowadays. However, I want to make sure that I find the right computer for me and I am a little apprehensive about Mac since there are some limitations with software availability and I have heard that their tech support is somewhat sketchy.

Are there any suggestions for or against the Mac and if against, what kind of alternative would you suggest?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which is best?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which is best?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Which is best?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2004 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Which is best?

I take no sides on the Mac PC debates.

But any new PC with the current OS, 512MB of RAM and disk space can edit video. That's easy for me to write since I did some on the road edits with a P3-600MHz 256MB Windows 2000 laptop. DVD recording is possible on this laptop since I added an USB 2.0 PCCARD and an external DVD recorder.

The Mac is not under consideration for me since I tend to want to use odd tools like Virtual Dub and may want to boot a KNOPPIX or GEEXBOX CD.

The next laptop under consideration is some Athlon 64. Its just shopping at present, but its definitely the front runner.

Collapse -
Re: Which is best?
by KenSanramon / August 16, 2004 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Which is best?

Apple does not have a larger market share (now under 5%) as it refused to license its operating system to other manufacturers as the IBM PC did.

This history is repeating itself right now as Apple does not want to license its Ipod hardware device software so other sites (like Virgin or Real Networks) can sell you content to use on your ipod (Apple wants it all to itself).

Apple makes great notebooks and they are more reliable overall (see Consumer Reports study around March of 2004) but often you are paying more for what you get.

If it meets your needs you will find many enthustiastic users --but you will find many great IBM PC notebook forums as well.

For example, (Dell, Toshiba, etc) (10,000 plus registered users of Compaq X1000/HPZT3000/HPnc7000 sister notebooks)

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?