HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Which is best

by shorty_c / March 14, 2007 1:16 PM PDT

Im looking to buy a laptop, but im wondering which would be a better selection. Im going to be using it for school work,downloading and listening to music.watching movies and other odd things. i know its good to get one with a duo core processor but i was just looking for some suggestions.
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which is best
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which is best
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some thoughts...
by steve749 / March 14, 2007 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Which is best

1) Do you have a budget for this? I can picture some laptops costing $4,000+ in some cases while others may want one under $500.

2) What size screen do you want? A small 12" one, something in the middle like 13-15.4", or the biggies of 17-20" screens?

3) Is battery life a factor for this purchase or will it usually be plugged in?

4) Do you do massive multi-tasking like having a half dozen browser tabs, a handful of Word documents, a few downloads all going at once? If so, then it may be worth getting more RAM than the minimum to support all this and keep the machine running smoothly.

5) Mac, XP, Linux or Vista. Which OS do you want to use?

6) Is weight a factor or not really? Some of the larger laptops can weigh 15-20 lbs and thus aren't really that portable compared to a thin and light that is under 5 lbs.

7) Space. How big a hard drive do you want? Listening to music could involve none if it is streamed from somewhere else, e.g. over the Internet or from a NAS device, or could account for a good chunk on the laptop's hard drive possibly as there is a range here too.

Just some things to think about and investigate, IMO...

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
laptop choice
by shorty_c / March 15, 2007 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Some thoughts...

After asking the question above about buying a laptop.
Those are some good thoughts. and here a my answers

1) im looking for a laptop in the range of 500-2500

2)i need something small but not too small, just portable enough to carry from one class to another.

3) battery life is important cause i probally wont have a plug next to me in class

4)I want to be able to listen to music download music or movies and work on the internet and do homework without having it be ridicously slow.

5)I dont care what it is really, like it doesnt bother me if its a mac, xp or w.e

6) i dont want it to be heavy like i said i want it to be portable, sorta light-weightish.

7) also i would like a reasonable harddrive. Dont know too much about computers but i do know the bigger harddrive the better.

So after those answer. Any suggestions about different laptops would be apperciated.
Also im not planning on buying it soon, im planning on buying one over the summer coming into september, but any ideas are good to know while looking around.

Thanks,
Chelsea

Collapse -
"battery life is important cause i probally wont have a plug
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2007 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: laptop choice

"battery life is important cause i probally wont have a plug next to me in class"

I'll comment on this and what it implies.

1. No 3D video chipset.

Why? 3D chipsets in laptops are usually number 2 in the list of battery consumption items. The top items are CPU, 3D chipset and the display.

2. No 17 inch or larger displays.

As I noted in item 1, the display is a big consumer of the battery time. By sticking with 15 inch or smaller displays we gain not only battery time but can lose weight.

3. Bigger battery option.

I'm unsure if Apple has a battery size option but many other makes do. A horrible truth is that the stock battery will always be downsized to 2 to 3 hours if it exceeds 4 hours. Why? Cost. The market is driven by the retail price so there is no incentive to give you a 6 hour laptop. The moment they get 6 hours the battery size will be reduced and the price drops. If you opt for a larger battery you can get more time.

It's not wise to shop just by the rated minutes of the stock systems since all will the lowest values due to the pressure to reduce costs. I can use those numbers to extrapolate what the time could be on the larger battery. It's simple math which I'm sure you understand.

Example. Let's say the stock battery is 6 aH and they claim 2 hours. The upsized battery is 10 aH so we can guess we'll get 3.3 hours from the new battery. You'll have to do this for each model and put that into your decision spreadsheet.

Bob

Collapse -
Several options
by StargateFan / March 15, 2007 11:47 PM PDT

Hey I have several options for you to consider and a few questions. I'll start with the questions first. First question, Are you going to be playing any games or doing any heavy photo or multimedia editing, anything that would require the video card to work harder? Second fo you have any preferences as to a company, for example are youi partial to Dell, HP, or maybe Apple? About the hard drive do you think you will be storing a lot of Music, video files, or things like that?

After reading Bob's thread about the battery concerns I would recommend a large capacity battery which ever way you go, but I would also recommend that you also purchase a second battery so you can carry around with you just in case. with a budget as large as yours you have a lot of options and selections, so we need to start narrowing selections down. The first most important being the company you want to buy from, which is largely determined by the OS you will be using. Then we can talk about specific specs.

Collapse -
Some laptops have a modular battery.
by Cyborganizer / March 16, 2007 12:02 AM PDT

I know Dell laptops have this option. It gives the Dell D620 10.8 hours of battery life according to the web site. It will add about half a pound though.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.