1) Do you have a budget for this? I can picture some laptops costing $4,000+ in some cases while others may want one under $500.
2) What size screen do you want? A small 12" one, something in the middle like 13-15.4", or the biggies of 17-20" screens?
3) Is battery life a factor for this purchase or will it usually be plugged in?
4) Do you do massive multi-tasking like having a half dozen browser tabs, a handful of Word documents, a few downloads all going at once? If so, then it may be worth getting more RAM than the minimum to support all this and keep the machine running smoothly.
5) Mac, XP, Linux or Vista. Which OS do you want to use?
6) Is weight a factor or not really? Some of the larger laptops can weigh 15-20 lbs and thus aren't really that portable compared to a thin and light that is under 5 lbs.
7) Space. How big a hard drive do you want? Listening to music could involve none if it is streamed from somewhere else, e.g. over the Internet or from a NAS device, or could account for a good chunk on the laptop's hard drive possibly as there is a range here too.
Just some things to think about and investigate, IMO...
Im looking to buy a laptop, but im wondering which would be a better selection. Im going to be using it for school work,downloading and listening to music.watching movies and other odd things. i know its good to get one with a duo core processor but i was just looking for some suggestions.