or a
ZD7310US)

Gforce 64 mb dedicated and a 3 ghz processor spoeed

system ram is 512 mb with p4 HT

please let me know

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which is a better gaming laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which is a better gaming laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shared video RAM is always a non-gamer machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 2:16 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Shared video RAM is always a non-gamer machine.
by vivmos / December 9, 2004 3:02 AM PST

hi

i understand that shared is not for games....but wouldnt 128 shared be better than 64 dedicated? the sys has 512 mb ram which is a lot.... in this case wouldnt 12b shared be better even though its shared? plus the 128 shared system has a 3.2 ghz processor compared to 64 dedicated which is just 3.0..... i totally get that dedicated is better than shared....but is 64 dedicated better than a 128 shared? 64 dedicated is better than 64 shared but what about 128 shareD? pls let me know

Collapse -
Not from what I've seen. Shared video RAM is bad for games
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 3:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: which is a better gaming laptop
by khalidalwalid / December 9, 2004 3:02 AM PST

I guess the one with dedicated Video RAM is always a better gaming laptop. Shared VRam never gives satisfactory results irrespective of graphic card chipset.

Collapse -
by vivmos / December 9, 2004 3:05 AM PST

hi

i understand that shared is not for games....but wouldnt 128 shared be better than 64 dedicated? the sys has 512 mb ram which is a lot.... in this case wouldnt 12b shared be better even though its shared? plus the 128 shared system has a 3.2 ghz processor compared to 64 dedicated which is just 3.0..... i totally get that dedicated is better than shared....but is 64 dedicated better than a 128 shared? 64 dedicated is better than 64 shared but what about 128 shareD? pls let me know

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / December 9, 2004 3:31 AM PST

No No No -- shared/dedicated video at this point is never superior to even 32mb dedicated video as it uses part of your system RAM and also it can halt the processor when you encounter heavy video traffic.

Dedicated video means you have an independent video card soldered to the motherboard that takes over all the video tasks and therefore does not interfere with the processor at all.

The key thing for many people, even non-gamers is that since your dedicated video RAM does not use your system RAM you will get better performance even not playing games.

You need at least 64mb DEDICATED video RAM to play many newer games even at reduced settings. 128mb dedicated video is the minimum for serious gamers for playing games at full speed or close to it. The Dell 8600 Pentium M, Acer 2000 series, and many Pentium 4M notebooks (like the HPzd7000 monster) have this. 256mb dedicated video is the ultimate but that is mostly a desktop plateau at this point (or on notebooks over $3,000).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.