General discussion

Which Internet Security Software?????

Hi There

Can anybody advise me which internet security software to use please? I know that this is like asking how long a piece of string is, and I know that most people have their favourite software. But I really need some advice.
I've always paid for security software, and at the moment I'm using BitDefender Internet Security 2010. I've been using BitDefender for some years now, and it used to be great. Recently though it is causing me all sorts of problems, and seems to have more and more glitches.
I've been checking out comparison sites, but there is so much conflicting information out there, that it just gets more and more confusing.
Any advice that you can give me would be gratefully received.

Regards
Malcolm

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Which Internet Security Software?????
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Which Internet Security Software?????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Malcolm, you may be getting other opinions

I know that what I have is pretty good. I have Comodo Internet Security Premium that has a Firewall and Anti-Virus( it runs everyday about 6 AM). I can get free Norton Security Sute since I have Comcast. Depending what you have, you may also have a choice of Firewalls and AntiVirus [like AVG]. Originally, they had McAfee Suite - that was $200 and the latter, $150. You can find lists on two sites: www.filehippo.com(stay clear of file sharing!) and one has on the top right corner, freeware at www.majorgeeks.com.
I had some feedback about Spybot S&D as not being that good, but I will keep it until I manage to get Windows 7. Two other items are good: Super Anti-Spyware and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. Also, I have an old cleaner that cleans my registry but Piriform has two items that are good (and free), CCleaner 2.36 and Defraggler 1.21. There are Anti-Rootkits on majorgeeks.com and they will tell you ONLY ONE Anti-virus. Darrell

- Collapse -
Thank you

Hi Darrell

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me, I really appreciate it. Since posting this item I have done more research, but am more confused than ever. There's so much conflicting information out there.

I'll have a look at the programmes and sites that you mentioned.

Thanks again
Best Regards
Malcolm

- Collapse -
Only if have not try...

Hi Malcolm,

You wrote that you are using Bitdefender 2010 for some years now and recently have issues with it. Is the license for 2010 edition is still active or going to expire? I asks because there's new version with fixes which is BitDefender 2011. They usually provide a free upgrade as long as you have active Bitdefender license.

If you require a security suite still, wish to try another and looking for easy comparison, I suggest viewing the performance reports/test on security suite:

http://www.passmark.com/benchmark-reports/index.htm
Look at the Consumer Antivirus Performance 2011 (Edition 2) and (Edition 1) which was published September 30, 2010 and August 24, 2010, respectively.

Also, another site to check for security suite comparison is:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2010/02/03/best-performing-speed-and-memory-usage-antivirus-and-internet-security-for-2010/

- Collapse -
Thank You

Hi Donna

Just wanted to say thank you for your advice. I apologise for the delay, but I've done as you suggested and contacted BitDefender. I have now updated to Internet Security 2011 using my existing licence, and it seems to have fixed the problems that I was having.

Thank you once again.

Best Regards
Malcolm

- Collapse -
TRY A FREEBIE

I recently downloaded BitDefender's 2011 trial version and only had it for about 2 weeks and it made my pc go into slow mode. The download was huge!

Stay away from McCaffey products... had them for 8 years and it was bad news from day one... I eventually got wise.

I loved Trend Micro Antivirus + Antimalware, but their new program is Titanium and it is now "cloud" based.. the new program scans for newer versions of viruses and not the older versions. After having them for 3 years, I just dropped them last month due to the new format.

For the past month I have had Microsoft's Security Essentials and so far it's good. I haven't noticed any slow down on my pc, and the program is so easy that a child could run it. The scans are more thorough than previous antivirus programs I've had. My weekly scans are scanning over 1.4 MILLION items on my computer... yes, that is MILLION!

Since downloading MSE, I have had no problems, and my computer is running much faster... with it being a FREE program, and reviews giving it good marks, I'd say at least try this. Since it is free, you can use it while still reviewing other programs. I like yourself, have always had a paid version, but after 11 years of paying, it's time for a freebie for me!

- Collapse -
I have a suggestion, Malcolm

Malcolm, what you need to try to determine is: will my choosen security solution interact seamlessly with all my other programs? Many do not, which is why a PC can slow down to a crawl with certain security suites. Bit Defender is not known to be one of those "resource Hogs" and does seem to be effective, but not at the top of the antivirus scale among tested programs by independent testing groups. Stay away from Mcafee whatever you do! It's also worth noting what security solutions major ISP's provide for their subscribers. Comcast recently got rid of Mcafee in favor of Norton Internet Security. Now Mcafee is in the process of being bought out by Intel, which makes absolutely no sense to me. Norton, who has a massive following of "haters" for the past 10 years or so, has listened to the criticism of the people and has made the most significant improvements of any company I can remember. The security suite is now rated #1 by most of the testing sites and it is indeed a lean and mean piece of software. Absolutely no bloat as before and it will NOT slow down your system even one little bit. Rather than take my word for it, just Google "antivirus program ratings" and read up. Good luck with whatever you decide (after your Bit Defender license expires)!

- Collapse -
Still runs like new

I have used Avanquest Professional Suite 10 for 2 years. This is second edition. PC tools and Antivirus/Firewall. My netbook runs like new and does not slow down your computer, top ranked..

CNET Forums

Forum Info