Cameras forum

Question

which image stabilisation?!!?

by questkl34 / November 15, 2011 3:04 PM PST

Im luking to buy a new camera , and i know i want optical image stabilisation to work well , but when i was luking thru the cameras on the Cnet site i realise there is

<div>1. mega ois
</div>2.mega OIS with active mode
3 power ois with active mode
4. steady shot with active mode
5 steady shot
6. and plain old optical

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which image stabilisation?!!?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which image stabilisation?!!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Brand Names
by PistonCupChampion / November 15, 2011 4:18 PM PST

Mega OIS, Power OIS, Steady Shot, etc. are just the brand names used by different manufacturers for the generic term image stabilization. It is like saying Kleenex instead of facial tissue.

Active mode is image stabilization for video recording.

Image stabilization will help steady the picture from shaky hands, but it will not prevent blur from kids running or any other moving object. Only a faster shutter speed can cure motion blur.

Collapse -
optical sensor
by questkl34 / November 21, 2011 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: Brand Names

Thanks !!!
i also hvae a question about all the catergories of OPTICAL sensor type for the digicameras in cnet ...ccd cmos , what do all these mean and which wud be the best to opt for ?
im trying to narrow dowm my list of possible buys .

Collapse -
Answer
VR (Vibration Reduction)
by KenHusveg / November 15, 2011 5:07 PM PST

Here's more for you, VR is (Vibration Reduction) pretty much the same as IS. It's apples and oranges, all good.

Collapse -
optical sensor
by questkl34 / November 21, 2011 1:27 AM PST

Thanks !!! i also hvae a question about all the catergories of OPTICAL sensor type for the digicameras in cnet ...ccd cmos , what do all these mean and which wud be the best to opt for ? im trying to narrow dowm my list of possible buys .

Collapse -
Sensors
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 21, 2011 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: optical sensor

A complex subject

Here is the technical description:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/sensors_01.htm

That article first speaks of a Foveon sensor, but it is only found in Sigma DSLR cameras.
Scroll to the bottom paragraph for CCD and CMOS.

CMOS is the current favorite choice because it is faster than the CCD.
If you want lots of frames per second when shooting continuous - get CMOS
Image quality - no difference.
low light performance - no difference.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?