Laptops forum

General discussion

Which hp model is better: the HP Dv2715nr or the Dv6707us?

by jmelvin587-22178060872426696084248750655315 / February 5, 2008 1:27 PM PST

I am trying to decide between two reasonably priced HP laptop models to use for school, wireless internet, and an online business. I am also wondering which store's Accidental Damage Plan is better, Best Buy's or Circuit City?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which hp model is better: the HP Dv2715nr or the Dv6707us?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which hp model is better: the HP Dv2715nr or the Dv6707us?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do Not buy HP laptop at all - Run for your life!!
by bkay2 / February 6, 2008 2:14 AM PST

I purchased an HP DV9000 serices 1 year ago as my first HP compute. The experience as been a nightmare of incorrect information, mistakes, no service, poor service. It has been the worst customer experience of my entire life. Never, ever buy HP Every point of contact has been a frustrating experience of misinformation and no help. You will waste vast amounts of your time and energy and they have no interest in providing correct information or help. Choose another computer company - HP is a nightmare!!

Collapse -
DV2715NR
by armani007 / February 7, 2008 4:35 AM PST

I haven't yet bought an HP notebook before, but I did have the HP Compaq Presario that lasted me throughout my undergrad. I had purchased the system from Best Buy, and it was a good experience, but it was not trouble-free.

I am also looking to buy DV2715nr as I feel its perhaps the best notebook available around for a good value for money. From what people told me, HP has significantly improved a lot and if you want the best Warranty/Customer Service, I would say "don't" get the Extended Warranty from Best Buy or any retailer. Instead get the Extended Warranty from HP directly. Advantages are that HP would fix the product within 5 days, next-day shipping, etc. all paid for. Whereas BestBuy would take 3 weeks (sending out to some third-party company for repairs - I have had this experience with my Compaq). HP's Warranty is slightly more, but you dont have to buy it immediately. There is already a 1 YR standard manufacturer's warranty in place. And you can get the HP Extended Warranty anytime within 12 months from the date of laptop purchase.

I looked up DV6707 - it doesn't have a good processor. I have been using AMD Athlon XP since 2002 on my old Compaq, and it is pretty much outdated. I would say go in for DV2715NR. I am also looking forward to buying 2715 in a day or so, after nearly a month of research. I plan to buy from Best Buy and after 6 months or so, get the extended warranty from HP.

And when you mention you need it for an online business - be prepared for battery draining out fast. Because it is VISTA and it takes in more power, HP notebooks have an average battery life of 2 hours. Read the reviews on BestBuy and everyone has said Battery is the only problem. But you could always get a 12-cell battery in the future. Also, Dell Vostro 1400 Notebook has an amazing 5 hour battery life (Dell notebooks are on sale this week too on Dell.com). Either ways, I would highly recommend HP DV2715NR.

Collapse -
I wouldn't get an hp!
by MelaHartwig / March 4, 2008 8:07 PM PST

Don't do it!!! Please heed my warning! I purchased the dv2715nr system on 2-4-08 and had to return it on 2-8-08 because the keyboard died. Exchanged it for the exact same model and guess what... last night the same thing happened. Now, best buy is refusing to exchange or refund the money because it's been longer than 14 days! HP is crap! I've been researching and others are having problems with the wifi and ac adapter too! Please don't do it! Wish I would have known all this a month ago!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?