TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Which HDTV is suited for an HD-DVD Player

I have a Samsung HP-S4253, a 42-inch Plasma HDTV. I believe its native resolution is 1024x768.
Its display capabilities include 480i/480p/720p/1080i.
I have hooked it up to a multi-directional HDTV antenna (DB4 from antennasdirect.com), to receive OTA HD broadcasts. NBC-HD (e.g. Deal or No Deal) and FOX-HD (e.g. Football) that are broadcast in 1080i just look awesome! So I know that my HDTV can display a 1080i source and one can really tell that from the picture quality.... Fox Football in fact looks like 3-D. There is that WOW factor!

Ok, now I recently bought the new HD-DVD player by Toshiba - HD-A2.
I have hooked it up to my HDTV via Monster M series HDMI cable. The player is set to output 1080i source. I have played quite a few HD-DVDs (recorded in 1080p), on this player and displayed on my HDTV. However, I do not see the WOW factor! The picture quality is good, but when compared to the OTA HD broadcasts, I really do not see the HD quality that I have seen in store demos.
I tried outputting 720p to the HDTV, still no difference.

What am I missing?

I did some research and found that a 1080p source's output resolution is 1920x1080, whereas a 720p source's output resolution is 1280x720. So if I output either of these 2 sources to my HDTV, whose resolution is 1024x768, I lose the Source's HD quality due to scaling - downward or upward - both horizontally & vertically.

So does that mean that in order to get true HD quality from my HD-DVD player, I need to change my HDTV display to something whose native resolution is either 1920x1080 OR 1280x720?

I hope you think this is not a trivial question, and I hope I get some meaningful answers.
Thanks,
Dinesh

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which HDTV is suited for an HD-DVD Player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which HDTV is suited for an HD-DVD Player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
720 or 1080

In reply to: Which HDTV is suited for an HD-DVD Player

You have a set that has a native resolution that is 720P. Everything you pump into it will be scaled to 720p. So, if you want to get the full potential of your DVD player (only if you are playing a high def DVD) you will need a 1080p set (xxxx X 1080). Will you see a difference? Probably not much, ask Stewart. In any case, your high def DVDs will look better on either set than the standard DVDs.

Collapse -
DIN MORE ON HI-DEF D.V.D.s

When I compare picture quality from my new 1080P Blue Ray player Vs 1080I from my dish network hi-def system I can see mabey a 5% better picture but were talking a 72" d.l.p. t.v. so on anything smaller I dont think you would see any difference Your h.d. player should look the same as your hi-def cable or satellite system and over the air transmissions besides 1080I looks so great I dont see why all this fuss about 1.3. and 1080P If your 1080I t.v. isnt perfect then you have a problem stewe

Collapse -
What about the Native resolution

In reply to: DIN MORE ON HI-DEF D.V.D.s

Stewart, You are displaying your sources (Blu ray & Dish) on a 720p DLP. I am assuming it is a true 720p, i.e. the native resolution of your DLP is perhaps 1280x720.

My Plasma's native resolution (and probably most Plasmas and LCDs) is 1024x768.

There is no inherent scaling when you display a 720p source on a DLP.
However, displaying the same HD source on a 1024x768 Plasma or LCD, results in scaling, loss in pixels, loss in picture quality.

So my theory is that if I want uncompromised picture quality from my HD-DVD, my HDTV's native resolution needs to be 1280x720 (for 720p) or 1920x1080 (for 1080p).

Do you think I make sense?

But then I am not sure why OTA HD broadcasts look stunning.
I also wonder why Plasmas and LCDs are made with 768 resolution.

I appreciate everybody's inputs.... HDTV is still such a confusing technology for consumers!

Collapse -
Mr. dine TRUE 1080p

In reply to: What about the Native resolution

My Toshiba 72HM195 is a true 1080P d.l.p. t.v. at least thats what they claim ha ha. Anyway the picture quality looks as good as anything out there except plasma. Anyway the difference between 480, 720, 1080I and 1080P are very noticable. So far the only Blue Ray movie I own is THE SEARCHERS with John Wayne This is a very old movie and is hard to judge picture quality. but it is film quality . Also on the t.v. display it shows 1080P and when I watch 1080I satellite it shows 1080I Iam waiting for a good quality 1080P movie to buy so I can give a better review. have a nice day all steweee

Collapse -
Agreed

720p is still high definition. The difference between 720p and 1080p will only be noticable,yet very marginal, on the bigger the tv's. There really shouldn't be any noticable difference from your HD broadcasts and your hd dvd player. Double check all the setting and options on the dvd player to make sure it's putting out the proper signal.

Collapse -
your TV is fine

In reply to: Agreed

Your TV will be fine. My brother just bought an HD DVD player and he has a toshiba with 720 native resolution. The picture is top notch. I would say most people wouldn't notice a difference, it is marginal. Is 1080p better? yes slightly. Will you absolutely love HD DVDs shown at 720? YES you will. Just my .02

Collapse -
What about the native resolution?

In reply to: your TV is fine

This is in response to all the replies to my post.

Any comments on the native resolution of Plasmas & LCDs ... 1024x768?
Dont you think displaying HD sources on such 768 resolution HDTVs result in inherent scaling?

Collapse -
Your plasma is a 720p set, really WXGA.

In reply to: What about the native resolution?

All video will be rescaled to that resolution of 1024x768, this is the way HDTVs work( except for CRT sets). You should set your source (Cable,sat, HD-DVD) to 720. If you set your HD-DVD to 1080i your set will have to down scale it to 720p anyway. John

Collapse -
720 Vs 1080I I disagree

No No No. 720 does look nice. but 1080I knocks your socks off. there is no comparrison.720 is dead thank god. stewee

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.