Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

which for gaming amd dual core (4200+) - single core (4000+)

by koolman51 / April 9, 2006 4:36 PM PDT

im gonna build a rig for gaming and i need help chosing the amd x2 4200+ or the amd single core 4000+?please need help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which for gaming amd dual core (4200+) - single core (4000+)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which for gaming amd dual core (4200+) - single core (4000+)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: Which one????
by Cluchetti / April 9, 2006 11:04 PM PDT

Well I would suggest the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+.
Much better than the 4000+. You'll be happy when
new games come out that support dual core and you
won't have to upgrade your cpu and motherboard.

If you get the 4000+, It will be hard to find a dual core cpu for socket 939, because AMD is launching
socket AM2 June 6, 2006 and that will be much better than the socket 939's. So I would suggest the Dual Core if your building soon.

If possible, I would wait for AM2. I'm
waiting for It to build my new rig.

Well. good luck

Collapse -
now again the x2 4200+ or the x2 4400+ for gaming
by koolman51 / April 10, 2006 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: re: Which one????

i need help choosing the right processor for my gaming rig the x2 4200+ or the x2 4400+ for gaming because my total budget for my rig is 1450$ plz help me choose

Collapse -
i'd put the extra $100 in your video card
by ramarc / April 10, 2006 7:43 AM PDT

the diff between an x2 4200 and 4400 is probably less than 10fps in most games. the diff between a $200 card and a $300 card (say an x1800xt vs a x1800gto or a 7900gt vs a 7600gt) is more than that. also a 4400 won't let you increase your AA or AF but the $300 video card will.

Collapse -
If you're ever going to overclock...
by WhyFi / April 14, 2006 10:02 PM PDT

You may want to consider the AMD Opteron 170. It's a dual-core running (stock) at 2.0 GHz, it has the 2*1MB L2 cache (like the X2 4400), it can be had for about 400 bucks and it's supposedly very overclockable. I just got one myself, but I'm having some not-CPU related problems, so I can't comment on how overclockable it is based on personal experience. I can tell you, however, that it has a MUCH better HSF than the X2s, which probably does contribute to how overclockable it is.

If you don't think that you're ever going to attempt overclocking, yeah, go with the X2 4200 and put the savings towards something else in the system.

Hope that I didn't add to the confusion! Best of luck! Not that you'll need it - I think that all of the processors are great choices...

Collapse -
Oops... here are some reviews...
by WhyFi / April 14, 2006 10:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
I have the X2 4200*
by pablonava / April 15, 2006 8:03 AM PDT

It runs great man. Although I have stock everything that came with it. All I need is a video card like the X850XT and I can pretty much run anything I want on high. You can't slow down the X2 so I segest this one over the single since games will probably use dual core in the next year.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!