Cameras forum

Question

Which digital cameras are best for wide angle shots

by tara4homes / September 21, 2011 7:36 AM PDT

The application would be for real estate photos in tight spaces such as bathrooms. Is there a camera that takes really wide angle shots that will allow me to more than just a narrow part of the bathroom or a wide angle shot of the exterior of a house for example. I would prefer something that is lightweight (not an SLR).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which digital cameras are best for wide angle shots
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which digital cameras are best for wide angle shots
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Wide Angle
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 9:22 AM PDT

The specification that you are looking for is minimum focal length.
The smaller the focal length - the wider the angle.
The smallest focal length (non DSLR) camera is 24 mm.
There are over 25 different cameras available with 24 mm focal length lenses.

In my opinion the best all around camera with 24mm focal length is not in stores yet.
It was just announced earlier this month.

The Canon S100.

It is the update to the very popular Canon S95.
In addition to having a wide angle lens, it is one of the top choices available for low light situations.

Here is a Preview:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canons100/

The street price will probably be around $425.
Look for it to be in stores around the end of October.

Collapse -
Same need but interested in entry level SLR
by janfus / October 2, 2011 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Wide Angle

I need a camera for real estate and interested in an entry level SLR. Which camera and which lense do I need? Under $1000?

Collapse -
DSLR
by PistonCupChampion / October 3, 2011 12:12 AM PDT

There is no inexpensive choice if you want a lens that would be wider than the standard 18-55mm lens that comes stock with most DSLR cameras. All entry level and even most enthusiast DSLR cameras use an APS-C sensor, meaning that the 18mm ends up being approximately 28mm. All DSLR lenses wider than 18mm cost more than $1000. The only inexpensive way to get a wide angle shot with a budget DSLR would be to stitch photos together in a panorama using software.

Wider than 18mm aside, if the stock lens is adequate for your needs, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Sony all make good entry level DSLR's. It's rather like choosing between Honda, Mazda, Nissa, and Toyota....they're all pretty decent. It just depends on which on you prefer.

Collapse -
Answer
Sweep Panorama
by PistonCupChampion / September 21, 2011 2:32 PM PDT

There are a few cameras that have a panorama mode that automatically stitches together a series of captures to make one wide image; this would allow you to capture a much wider angle than a wide angle lens...I believe up to 270 degrees. Sweeping in a small bathroom would be impossible, though!

The Panasonic LX5 has an equivalent 24mm wide angle, but a conversion lens is offered that would give you an equivalent 18mm wide. That would not come cheap; the LX5 is a $400+ camera, and the conversion lens plus the required adapter would add another $200.

Collapse -
Wide angle digital camera
by tara4homes / September 23, 2011 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Sweep Panorama

Thank you for the information. Will check out the camera you're recommending. Any idea who might offer the best prices?

Collapse -
LX5
by PistonCupChampion / September 23, 2011 10:39 AM PDT

There are a couple of online e-tailers that have the LX5 for about $375 after a instant $50 rebate. I don't know if you can get the conversion lens for much less than the suggested retail. There are non-Panasonic conversion lenses for less, but from what I understand the optical quality is low compared to the factory conversion lens.

Collapse -
Sale
by PistonCupChampion / September 24, 2011 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: LX5

Abe's of Maine has the LX5 for $337.95 with coupon code DEALNEWS12

Collapse -
Answer
Wide angle camera
by tara4homes / September 23, 2011 8:11 AM PDT

Thank you for the information. Will look for the Canon S100. Any idea who has the best prices on digital cameras?

Collapse -
Regarding Canon S100
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 23, 2011 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Wide angle camera

Since this is a new camera, you will not find any bargains for at least 8 months from now.
Here is one site that has it advertised for about $430.
If someone advertises it for much less - be careful.
There are some bait and switch on-line locations that may quote a "low-ball" price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&N=0&A=endecaSearch&InitialSearch=yes&Q=&Ntt=Canon+S100

I notice that they say it will not be available until November.

I just discovered that there is a very old Canon camera with the same model number (S100).
So read any advertisements closely.
The old model S100 is only 2 megapixels.
The new model S100 is 12 megapixels.

Collapse -
Wide Angle Digital Camera
by tara4homes / September 23, 2011 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Regarding Canon S100

Thanks for your quick response.

Collapse -
Answer
Panasonic
by BetyRosita / October 14, 2011 11:32 AM PDT

A very versatile pocket camera is the Panasonic Lumix TZ-10!
A must! Because it is a All in One camera with a 24mm lens. A so-called Long Zoom pocket with GPS onboard!
Also the macro option is incredible good!
Anyhow, good luck with your choice.
Boled

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!