Desktops forum

General discussion

Which CPU to get

I want a CPU that supports fast pace gaming but not sure what motherboard to get. I bought a CISNET (made by ZT Group) and I got it a couple of months ago. The question is which is a good motherboard that supports SLI and supports good processors. I would like to get an AMD 64 X2 3800+. I also have another question, does a single motherboard support all types of processors, or does each motherboard support specific types of processors? and also are there motherboards that have alot of pci slots like at least 7( 2 x16 pci slots out of the 7). I would like to further expand with such items as a tv tuner card and a sound card. I would really like to take the processor I have in my CISNET and just move it on to another motherboard, but considering it probably is a cheap Pentium 4, I don't know if I can.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which CPU to get
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which CPU to get
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which CPU .....

In reply to: Which CPU to get

My first build I used an Asus MOBO. They come in different socket sizes for different CPU's. They also have other options. Check out their website, a lot of info on chipsets, SLI's and memory recommendations. There are other manufacturers but this is the brand I used.

Collapse -
Ok OK

In reply to: Which CPU .....

I see what you are saying, so I probably won't be ably to transfer my cpu into another mobo, sucks..... I hear now that games do not heavily depend on the processor. If I do get a high end card such as the nvidia 7800GT, I will need a new motherboard, and also will need a new processor. But are there mother boards that have more than 5 PCI slots ( I would like to have 2 PCI express slots for SLI). I would like to add on cards like a tuner, and sound card.

Collapse -
ok,ok

In reply to: Ok OK

Yes, I do know Asus has a motherboard for SLI, i.e. 2 pci x16 slots plus the regular ones.

Collapse -
NVIDIA or ASUS

In reply to: ok,ok

I hear Asus makes some great mobos like the ASUS SLI premium ( I think that is the name) but which mobo to get, and which is a great value. Are nvidia mobos better than the Asus ones for SLI??

Collapse -
sockets and families

Motherboard has to be matched to CPU socket type.
Example: There are socket 754 and socket 939 Athlon 64 CPU's.

After you match the socket types, the motherboard has to support the particular family of processors. Athlon XP, Athlon 64, and Athlon 64 X2 are all different families.

Collapse -
Ok I see now

In reply to: sockets and families

This motherboard stuff is far more complicated than I ever imagined. Why can't mobos be versatile and accept all types of processors?? I also need help with a new question, what are the different types of AGP slots if there are any types??

Collapse -
super compatibility and video slots

In reply to: Ok I see now

Why? They could do it, but the average buyer couldn't afford it.

If you are buying new, forget about AGP (old tech) and use a PCI Express motherboards and video cards.

Collapse -
AMD motherboards

In reply to: sockets and families

The world of AMD compatible motherboards that NewEgg.com sells:
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=22

Set ''CPU type'' to have support for the ''X2'' CPU.
Set ''Northbridge'' to ''nVidia nForce4 SLI''
Set ''CPU Socket Type'' to ''Socket 939''

That will give you a list of SLI, X2, 939 motherboards.

You can do the same searches at many other sites/stores.

Collapse -
Thanks for the info

In reply to: AMD motherboards

I'll go to newegg and find some mobos that shall do the trick. I have a long list of upgrades to my computer, and all the upgrades will cost me roughly $1100. I need to know a fact that will make my life easier. Are there SlI mobos that have AGP slots, probably not right.

Collapse -
AGP SLI ?

In reply to: Thanks for the info

Not that I know of...and you want PCI Experes, anyway

Collapse -
Wait wait

In reply to: AGP SLI ?

No no hahah, I do not want an AGP SLI, I just wanted to know if there are mobos that have SLI configuration but also include a single AGP slot for a graphics card since PCI graphics cards are expensive.

Collapse -
same or cheaper

In reply to: Wait wait

PCI Express video cards (not PCI cards) are the same price or cheaper than AGP.

Collapse -
Wow really

In reply to: same or cheaper

I always thought that PCI express cards were more expensive since they generally perform better than an AGP card.
Thanks for that info.

Collapse -
a year ago

In reply to: Wow really

A year ago when PCI Express was new and there weren't that many cards on the market, you were correct. The market is flooded with PCI Express video cards today (many with good rebate deals).

Collapse -
some general ideas

In reply to: Thanks for the info

Collapse -
Thanks for the link

In reply to: some general ideas

Very interesting, I checked out the "bang for the buck pc" and now am really interested for the AMD X2 3800+
but I also want to know if mobos with SLI configuration also have a single AGP slot for a reular card, since high end PCI express slots deliver better performance and are more expen$ive.

Collapse -
Thinking of heavily upgrading my current system

In reply to: Thanks for the link

I don't know if I should heavily upgrade my current system or build a new one from scratch.

Collapse -
sorry

In reply to: Thinking of heavily upgrading my current system

Solved one problem and created another, huh? Happy
Enjoy the process!

Collapse -
PCI Express

I have seen mobos with one PCI Express X16 video slot and a proprietary AGP slot, but they seem to be more troublesome.

Haven't seen any SLI PCI Express WITH an AGP slot. There really is no market for such, because most who are interested in SLI will get at least one SLI-able card to start, and those video cards are all PCI express.

Collapse -
Ok alright

In reply to: PCI Express

Sorry for constantly asking for information, but you're the only ne WHO really understands this kind of stuff which is fantastic. So far I have enough infromation for the right motherboard. I have gone to the site you suggested, and it is a great site. I have seen some budget mobos that support dual core. I will probably spend a little more for the SLI dual core mobo, since I read in a magazine that games will come out later that use dual core. So far I am looking that the AMD solution, the X2 3800+. Next question I have is for the many types of memory. I have the documentation for my motheboard with my current computer, but I am considering getting a new mobo, so I will have to read the documentation for that. If you can provide me with a website that explains the many types of memory and how to add more memory to a system that would be great and I would be thankful, but I am already thankful to you, so I would be more thankful. Anyways thanks alot bro, appreciate it.

Collapse -
memory finder

In reply to: Ok alright

No problem. I think a lot of the posters enjoy doing this.

If you want to learn what memory is compatible with your current system, look up you system in a memory finder on memory mfg. websites. Crucial.com is popular for this.

Crucial Memory Advisor? Tool
http://www.crucial.com/index.asp

FAQ
http://www.crucial.com/kb/

Information Center
http://www.crucial.com/library/index.asp

Download and run Belarc Advisor (free) from Download.com to see other hardware/software details on your current computer.

Collapse -
Thanks alot

In reply to: memory finder

Thanks alot for the great information that you have provided. Your posts alone have solved my solution. As for me when one problem gets solved, another occurs. I have a 160 gb hard drive with I believe 7,200 rpm. I would like to get 2x 74 gb hard drives with 10,000 rpm for faster file acess. I want the 2X 74 gb hard drives acting as one, that would a total of 148 gb. I also want to get a 250 gb 7,200 rpm hard drive. Will the 2 10,000 rpm hard drives collide with my older 160 gb hard drive? and also will the speed of my 10,000 rpm hard drive slow down if I mix it with my 160 hard drive?? Also I want my 250 gb hard drive to store large files such as games. How will I be able to do that??? Should I just abandon the 74 gb altogether??? It is just that say my hard drive fails on me with my crucial files, I will be screwed. I would like a safe solution, and so far I hear 2x 74 10,000 rpm hard drives are the best bet for storing important files, and a larger hard drive for games, etc. AHHH so many questions.

Collapse -
RAID and other answers

In reply to: Thanks alot

Motherboard has to support SATA ''RAID 0'' to use the Western Digital Raptors (or any set of drives) for the speed benefit of RAID 0.

One 10,000 rpm drive does have some speed benefit over slower drives.

Other drives will not interfere with the RAID0 setup because they will be on different IDE channels.

Other drives shouldn't slow the 2 Raptor RAID.

Large programs on 250GB drive? OK, just install them there. 80GB on the primary boot drive is usually enough.

Abandon the 74GB? If you want to save money, yes. Just get a SATA drive with 7200rpm and 8MB cache or better. You could start with the cheaper 36GB Raptor and add a second one later for RAID0 speed.

''I would like a safe solution, and so far I hear 2x 74 10,000 rpm hard drives are the best bet for storing important files, and a larger hard drive for games, etc.''
ABSOLUTELY NOT! You are more likely to have failure on a RAID system than a single drive. Store/backup copies of important files on CD/DVD.

Collapse -
Thanks for the info, but....

In reply to: RAID and other answers

Alright I see what you are saying, but I have more questions. I want to upgrade my system for hard core gaming and also I would like to do some video editing later on. Would I need 74 gb 10,000 rpm hard drives at all??? Would it just be fine if I have ALL my drives in a Raid 0. I currently have a 160 gb hard drive and would like to add say probably like 3 more 300 gb hard drives, for a grand total of 1,060 gb of hard drive space. Wouldn't that be fine also or are there some risks??

Collapse -
hard drives

In reply to: Thanks for the info, but....

If you buy all those drives, you are going to need a big, roomy tower case to keep your all that equipment cool. I'd just start with a smaller volume for the operating system (RAID0 or just one drive) and then get the big drive(s) for the video storage. I'd consider using your existing 160GB drive for the OS if it is at least 8MB cache, 7200rpm.

You can buy one humongous hard drive and pay big bucks or just get two moderately priced 250GB drives for the videos (500GB is pretty big). You don't have to RAID the drives, but the option is there. Unless a specific need arises, you don't need to waste money on 1000GB of HD storage space. Keep in mind that you will want to move your finished videos to DVD media because HD's do fail.

BOTTOM LINE:
If you plan it right, you don't have to buy everything at once. You can always buy extra storage as the need arises. It is difficult to get rid of buyer's remorse if you spend money on hardware that you won't use.

Collapse -
AGP/PCIX

They just don't come together. Ols vs new don't mix

Collapse -
motherboard

the MSI K8N Neo4/SLI is a good motherboard that should support just about any socket 939 AMD processor that you can throw at it. there's 3 pci slots so you can add a sound card and a tuner card

Collapse -
Thanks for the board

In reply to: motherboard

Sounds like a great board. I would like some space for an SLI setup, and 3 boards for a tv tuner, sound card, and ethernet port (for boradband). I would like one extra just for something in the future. Any other boards out there that have SLI capapbilities and have support for high end processors like a dual core set up. I am looking at the AMD X@ 3800+ I would like a board that does all this for at least $100-$150. Thanks for the info.

Collapse -
a shopping exercise

In reply to: Thanks for the board

For SLI you need a motherboard that has a ''nVidia nForce4 SLI'' chipset. This is usually called the northbridge chipset.

For AMD dual-core CPU's, you need a motherboard that supports ''AMD Athlon 64 X2'' processors. The ''X2'' designates dual core.

Most of today's motherboards have the ethernet circuitry built-in, so you will not need to add a card for this. Many motherboards have two ethernet ports and 1000Mbps circuitry (gigabit adapters).

A SHOPPING EXERCISE:
You can do this at many online computer stores. This is one popular site:

NewEgg.com - AMD compatible motherboards

- set ''CPU'' to ''X2''
- set ''North bridge'' to ''NVIDIA nForce4 SLI''

At the time of this posting, the search came up with 7 hits.

Collapse -
I'll search

In reply to: a shopping exercise

Thanks for the link, I will search for some mobos, but I have yet anither question. I have beem seraching for mobos with sockets 939 with SLI and yet I have found several mobos. But one thing, some are more expensive than others. I thought all mobos were the same. Do you get better performance with more expensive motherboards like in graphics cards??

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.