Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

which cpu is better?

by jj16802 / January 19, 2007 11:33 AM PST

Can anybody tell me which one is better of these intel cpu:

1.Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
2.Intel Pentium 4 541 Prescott 3.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

I plan to buy one of these to upgrade my pc, both of their prices are
close. But second one is support Hyper-Threading. I play a lot of game with my pc. Thanks if you answer me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which cpu is better?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which cpu is better?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What criteria are we using here?
by steve749 / January 19, 2007 1:48 PM PST
In reply to: which cpu is better?

Or to put this another way what would make one better than the other: Price, performance, single-threaded task challenge, frame rate of a game, or something else?

I would likely think that the Pentium D would be a better overall processor as it is a dual-core procesor.

Of Hyper-Threading or dual-core, I'd take dual-core anytime.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
Just upgrading the CPU....maybe it would be better
by VAPCMD / January 19, 2007 10:32 PM PST

to upgrade the MB and CPU in which case you'd have better CPU choices.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Need your idea
by jj16802 / January 20, 2007 2:09 AM PST

My old pc is: P4 1.5 GHZ, 512MB memory, ATI readon 9600SE Video card,
I plan to buy a cpu above and a new motherboard and new memroy that
total costs $250, to upgrade my old pc. Because my friend just got a DEll Dimension E521: AMD 64X2 3800+, 1GB memroy, 160GB harddrive, Nvida 7300LE video card, but this pc was total disappoint me, it only can play BF2, BF2142 in low setting, can't play Rainbow6 Vegas!!! So
I want to know which cpu is better and good to me to play the game.
Thanks for answer me!

JJ

Collapse -
Look at the graphics card...
by steve749 / January 20, 2007 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: Need your idea

That 7300LE is likely a low-end card where if one were to put in a higher graphics card, assuming the power supply can handle it, like say a 7900 GTX then it may well do fine on the game. Video cards are likely a bigger bottleneck in most of the newer games may be something you are missing.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
Take a look at the link below...not sure either of the CPUs
by VAPCMD / January 20, 2007 6:39 AM PST
In reply to: Need your idea
Collapse -
Go with Pentium D
by MattyMustng / January 20, 2007 9:59 AM PST

The Pentium 4 is a faster processor for single threading applications. Since Pentium D's are essentially two Pentium 4's, the faster Pentium 4 will outperform the Pentium D on single threading apps. But, these days, a lot of things are multi threading and they utilize dual core very effectively. I would say the Pentium D is to you advantage to get. Make sure your motherboard supports dual core though. A lot of motherboards (915 chipset for example) do not support dual core. Some only support up to a certain clock speed to, at least older ones. But, I would go Pentium D. I imagine you are using DDR memory, so upgrading to Core 2 Duo wouldn't really be an option, unless you want to replace the memory. But, it would be worth it to replace the motherboard, RAM, and processor for Core 2 Duo.

Collapse -
Installing Intel Products...
by castingRod47 / January 20, 2007 11:21 PM PST

The Intel website[www.intel.com]has all the Info for such things..
The Compatibiity issue is explained in that FRAME of MIND..
It would be a quess by any stretch of the mind..but would hope that P4 is still a Minimum Requirement/but still a Good Processor in these times..I would definetly get my Processor Speed above 2.66GHz..or..2.8GHz minimum..HTT..Hyper threading technology will need a good read at the Intel website..
You can either purchase a PC from DELL or Hewlett Packard/SONY/TOSHIBA..what-ever..everything is there to read..
Or you can VISIT the Intel Website for a good understanding first..
I don't think a GOOD PROCESSOR can be answered in this type of a FORUM..
But my research as offered up/
Pentium 4..a minimum CPU for Video-Authoring(multi-media)..
Celeron D..really only small CHORES..Audio Creation-Internet Surfing..NO Expansion CARDS..
The New Class of CPU..
Duo-CORE..have slow CLOCK Speeds but Higher FSB-speeds..
Here again the Compatibility ISSUES LOOMS-Large..
I might QUESS..that your old software is now useless..
Here's a TERM:
Threading Safe..this is a good place to analyze your CHOICES.

Collapse -
Save your money until you can get
by Ray Harinec / January 21, 2007 1:19 AM PST

a Core 2Duo, Conroe core, A dual core Pentium simply runs entirely too hot. The Conroe corethe core2Duo] consumes only 65 watts and has entirely different architecture and outperforms P4's by leaps and bounds.

Remember the Core 2 Duo extreme saved Intel from continuing to have their CPU out performed by AMD.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!