Laptops forum

Question

Which configuration is best for gaming?

by Bhop101 / September 13, 2012 1:38 AM PDT

Configuraton 1:

PROCESSOR - 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3720QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.6GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
OPERATING SYSTEM - Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit
MEMORY - 12GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
HARD DRIVE - 512GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s
VIDEO CARD - Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 7970M - CrossFireX™ Enabled
WIRELESS - Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO for Gaming & Video and Bluetooth 4.0
OPTICAL DRIVE - Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
SOUND - Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di with THX TruStudio Pro Software
Comes with BF3, Logitech Wireless Gamepad Controller, 3 fan Chilling mat, and basic skin

Cost - $3,731.96

Configuration 2:

PROCESSOR - Same
OPERATING SYSTEM - Same
MEMORY - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL11 Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB SODIMMS)
HARD DRIVE 1 - 120GB Intel 520 Series Solid State Drive (Up to Sequential Read 550MB/s - Write 500MB/s SSD2 Serial-ATA III)
HARD DRIVE 2 - 500GB (w/ 4GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT 7200RPM NCQ Hybrid 32MB Cache (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)
VIDEO CARD - Same
WIRELESS - Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 (3x3) (Includes 3rd Antenna) (Dual Band)
OPTICAL DRIVE - Slot Load - Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software
SOUND - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro THX 24-bit External USB Sound Card

Comes with IC Diamond Thermal Compound - GPU & CPU, USB to HDMI or DVI/VGA adaptor, Razer Orochi Wired/Wireless Bluetooth/USB Notebook Gaming Mouse and basic skin

Cost -$3577.36

Keep in mind that I already have a desktop so I don't need people telling me to stick with that because I need something mobile and the cost isn't much of an issue though I would like to save money wherever possible.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which configuration is best for gaming?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which configuration is best for gaming?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
About that wifi
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2012 3:34 AM PDT

Didn't that eventually get slammed in the reviews? And didn't most gamers figure out that WiFi is just trouble?

Past that, I see the usual few year gaming laptop. I take it that you are fine with the shorter life spans in gaming laptops.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: About that wifi
by Bhop101 / September 13, 2012 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: About that wifi

Yes I'm aware of the short life spans and I don't know. The only "slams" I have seen on Alienware have been about the high price tag (paying for brand). All major reviewers seemed to give it a fairly high review but I'll have to check back on it. I've been researching quite a bit so there is no harm in a little . Also I have no idea about the Wifi, I just thought it might be a good option. So you are saying it is unnecessary?

Collapse -
If you read WiFi reviews and then move to real life
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2012 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: About that wifi

You find a constant. That is, your gamer will eventually hate some wifi setup and get wired to avoid the issues you can encounter.

Here I have simple WiFi and no issues but I have neighbors that have set the routers to be neighbor friendly. Imagine the poor gamer who isn't so lucky and then paid extra for this?

And about BLUETOOTH mice and keyboards. A few I used had this annoying lag as they woke up and connected after they slept. The sleep time was in seconds so it can be annoying. You may want to consider this and have a backup plan. Nod to those Logitech Nano USB mice things.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.