Laptops forum

General discussion

Which config is better for the dell e1505?

by The One61542 / February 27, 2007 11:24 AM PST

I was just wondering which config is better

Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which config is better for the dell e1505?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which config is better for the dell e1505?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
E1505

I have an Inspiron E1505. Pretty good machine !

Excepted if you are a power-user, it is useless to get the 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo. This is not a gamer machine so the extra 2 MB L2 Cache will not be very usefull. Sure, if you make a lot of video/audio encoding, this is the best CPU you can get. But if you're a normal home-user, save your money or take the 7200 RPM hard-drive. The performance gain is better with the 7200 RPM HDD than the 2 GHz Core 2 Duo.

Make sur to get a DVD burner ... I think your option is only a CD burner. I'm not sure. Verify this.

The Intel PRO/Wireless option is the best.

For the RAM, sure, you'll get more performance weith 2 GB, but this can be totally useless if you only make web surfing, e-mails and word processing... If you want 1 GB of RAM, take the option 1 DIMM. You'll have a 1x1024 MB stick and a free slot for a future upgrade.

The X1400 is the most powerful GPU available for this model. I get 910 points in 3DMark06 with Catalyst 7.1.

On XP, you can get up to 6:30 hours of battery life with the 9-cell battery. If you think you'll carry your computer a lot, then, this could be a nice option to take.

The Sound Blaster Audigy HD is a software, not a hardware option. I think this is a software to optimise the sound of your laptop, something that slow down your computer start up ...

Pay attention to the screen option. If you're planning to read a lot on it, take the 1280x800 screen resolution. For a lot of multi-tasking / photo editing, then, a hier resolution display will be more appreciated.

Collapse -
by The One61542 / February 28, 2007 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: E1505

you can choose a dvd-burner

what laptop do you recomend for semi/hardcore games at a buget of $1100

Collapse -
oops 4got to say
by The One61542 / February 28, 2007 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: reply

ohh and i 4fot to ask what is the best config for gaming

Collapse -
Gaming
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / March 1, 2007 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: oops 4got to say

The best config for gaming is a desktop PC, not a laptop. A laptop is made to work, not to play.

If you want something good in games, look at the Dell XPS M1710. Very expensive ( near 3000 $ CND !!! ).

You won't get the same gaming performances on a laptop than a desktop. Mobile GPUs are underclocked to save energry from battery. Overclock you GPU and you'll worry about a possible overheating.

For an occasional gaming, I find the X1400 pretty good. I can play BF2 at medium settings with only 512 MB of RAM ( 128 MB on-board VRAM ). For more performances, get the X1600 or GeForce Go 7600. But these GPUs are rare in the 15.4" laptop size. Look at Asus to get these GPUs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?