Resolved Question

Which carrier? Widespread cvg. of rural US, no contract

Hi there,

I'd love some input here -- not having much success finding a carrier.

Currently, we have Verizon. But we're fed up with the long contracts and expensive service, and looking to make a switch.

We have two phones on our plan, use less than 900 minutes a month cumulatively, all in voice, and infrequently use text messaging. No data, and no need for data. Currently pay ~$95-110, depending on texts and tax.

Anyway, I know there have been some good no-contract carriers springing up. But coverage (for instance, Cricket) coverage in the western part of the US is close to roads only, and not truly widespread. We really need something widespread -- that's important.

Are there any carriers with a similar coverage map to Verizon (rural areas, national forests, etc) that could be good to compare?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
dave-bos has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Which carrier? Widespread cvg. of rural US, no contract
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Which carrier? Widespread cvg. of rural US, no contract
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Need more information.....

Do you know which prepaid carriers are in your local area? More important, where are you ?

Best Answer

- Collapse -
There's only one that I am aware of now- Ting

AFAIK, Ting allows roaming on most if not all of the large CDMA carriers, such as Verizon & USCC. Although I have no personal experience with them, I believe they are a Sprint MVNO. Seems like it may be a good fit for you since you are the rare user that only uses voice. At first glance, it looks to be $30 + taxes for two lines/1000 minutes. More details here:

https://ting.com/plans

Try asking at howardforums.com (temporarily @ howardforum.com since their domain name was stolen!) about Ting service and plans/pricing/coverage.

- Collapse -
Thanks!

Thanks!

I hadn't heard of Ting, and they certainly seem well worth checking into very carefully -- seem to beat Verizon hands-down on a number of items, potentially even for data.

Has anyone out there used them? How do you like Ting?

- Collapse -
Ask at Howardforums for that question

You will get better hits over there, being a heavily trafficked cellular centered forum.

I would be surprised if any of the MVNOs can touch Verizon regarding data though. The roaming, when you include data, isn't cheap.

CNET Forums