Cameras forum

General discussion

which canon can produce depth of field effect ?

by mark_lisa / May 3, 2007 2:33 AM PDT

i know it sounds very rooki question but thats why i m here. i wanna buy a canon digital cam with round about 300 dollar . is there any camera with that prie range that can produce depth of field effect ( means the focal object will be clear and the background will be blurred ) which one will be most convenient for normal user like me to give a lil bit professional touch?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which canon can produce depth of field effect ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which canon can produce depth of field effect ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
depth of field effect with canon cameras
by dxjanis / May 3, 2007 6:58 AM PDT

You can create a depth of field effect as you describe by switching to manual mode, and selecting a setting which utilizes a larger (physically) aperture. That is to say you use a smaller aperture number: ie f5.6 will blur the background more than f8.0. You can use any camera that allows manual adjustment for this. It sholud be covered in the owners manual. Specifically, purchase a $300.00 Canon which allows manual control, read the book.

Collapse -
Some Cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 7:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Depth of field
by HMYOI / May 4, 2007 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Some Cameras

Digital cameras are often limited as far as depth of field is concerned. A better option might be to go for post processing. Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop and other photo editing software allow depth of field bluring to be applied easily and to a greater extent than is possible straight rom the camers

Collapse -
Depth of field with a small point and shoot
by tastyorange / May 4, 2007 8:13 AM PDT

Depth of field is extremly limited in a camera with a tiny lense regardless of which aperture you choose. You will only see a blurry background when you zoom in close to something. Doesn't matter which shutter opening you choose. They will all look basically flat.

If you want real control over depth of field, you need a camera with a bigger lense (more glass). This means buyng a DSLR (digital Single Lense Reflex). They have come down in price, big time. I got my Pentax K100d witha great 18-55 lense for less than $500 after rebate.

Yes it's only 6 megapixels, but remember, 6 megapixels on a DSLR looks better than a point and shoot digicam with more pixels because the sensor is larger and can handle the image information better.

If you must have a point and shoot, find one witha bigger lens, it will probably make a difference.

Collapse -
Canon A640
by tastyorange / May 4, 2007 8:17 AM PDT

I forgot to mention I have the Canon A640 which takes phenomenal macro shots and it's 10 megapixels.
As far as DOF is concerned... since the lense is small, there isn't much except on close ups.
Also the A640 has a fragile battery door and it is now broken from one drop of only 2 feet. So I really can't recommend the camera because the body is so cheap.

Collapse -
DOF
by hjfok / May 4, 2007 2:08 PM PDT

Use manual mode or aperture priority mode. Select the widest aperture possible for your shooting condition and zoom out to frame your shot. The wider the aperture, the shallower the depth of field, and the more blurred your background will get (called the bokeh effect). The smaller the f number the wider the aperture, so a f/2.8 is much wider than f/5.6. The f/5.6 won't give you much bokeh effect. The D-SLR is usually much better at this, but this depends on the lens you use.

Collapse -
A640 Question(s) Please
by ponz924 / May 15, 2007 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: DOF

Hello everyone,

I'm not a stranger to digital photography having had a G2 for several years. It went for a swim last month and never recovered.

I picked up the A640 the other day and, for the life of me, can't get the flash to trigger in anything but 'AUTO'. Please tell me it isn't so!

many thanks - Ponz

Collapse -
A640 flash
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 15, 2007 8:59 AM PDT

If you look on page 143 of the Advanced User Manual, you will find a chart that shows what functions work in different settings.

If you are in Manual, Shutter Priority or Aperture Priority, the flash is off by default.

You can manually turn-on the flash so that it will flash each time, but you can not set it to auto where the camera decides if the flash should be on or off.

If you are in Program AE mode it will still default to Off, but you can set it to ON or Auto.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!