Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Which Camera to Use

by elorion / February 9, 2005 12:56 PM PST

I am going to school for film and looking for recommendations on what digital camcorder to get. Im thinking a miniDV camera around $1000-$1500, but I would really like to hear from those of you that own a camera in this price range and what you think. Also if anyone has any sugestions, my ears are open.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Camera to Use
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Camera to Use
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I am asking the same question, but I am not looking in that
by Kiddpeat / February 9, 2005 2:09 PM PST
In reply to: Which Camera to Use

price range. I've had serious recommendations that either a Canon GL2 or a Sony VX2100 would be good choices. My video instructor suggests the Sony PD170 because it allows XLR mics to be used. Right now I am leaning toward the Canon XL2 because I already have a substantial investment in Canon lenses.

Collapse -
Cameras for school
by tuckert / February 12, 2005 6:02 PM PST

Well, first off let me make a broad reccomendation. If you are going to film school, don't buy a camera yet. Most likely your school will have great cameras (far better then the price range you are suggesting) and you can use them. I am assuming you want the cameras to try for personal projects.

If you do want your own to practice with and you are going to school, try to get something with a true lens system, like the Canon XL1 or XL2 (the XL2 is new and very expensive 5000, but you can get used XL1's on ebay for 1000)

A true lens will teach you a ton about optic and the like. Other prosumer cameras have lenses with mostly digital optics.

Also, make sure the camera you get is 3 chip camera, otherwise you will kick yourself. And having XLR inputs is a great idea, but it all depends on what you will be using it for. If you are shooting short films or even features, chances are you will never be recording sound into the camera, it will be recorded sepreately.

I don't know those cameras you have suggested except for the GL2. It is a good camera, but still doesn't have the top of the line features you'd expect for "film making". Films you have seen in the theatres were shot in the XL1, beacuse of hte interchangeable lenses.

I own a Panasonic DVX-100a and while it is 3500, it is a great camera. It shoots 24p and have xlr inputs, but I whish it has interchangable lenses. Most of the newer cameras have 24p, but they will be more in the 3000 or higher price range. 24p is what will give you the "film look" as it shoots at film speeds. THey also usually have filters in the camera that make a "cine" look on the video itself.

good luck and have fun!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!