Cameras forum

General discussion

Which camera to take pictures in an auditorium / gym?

by akmontgomery / January 28, 2010 10:42 AM PST

We were just at a Cub Scout event. I have a Canon SD600, 3x zoom. The event took place in the cafeteria, fully lit. My pictures all turned out dark, whether I used the flash or not. I would like a camera that I can just set on auto and go. I would be willing to learn how to adjust manual settings if necessary. I want to be able to take great pictures inside and out. I really like the sd940, but I don't think that's going to give me anything better than the SD600 other than the 4x zoom. Any recommendations?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which camera to take pictures in an auditorium / gym?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which camera to take pictures in an auditorium / gym?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Would also like to zoom
by akmontgomery / January 28, 2010 10:48 AM PST

I would also like to be able to zoom enough to get a nice shot. But I definitely want a compact camera, nothing too large.

Collapse -
That's very hard
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / January 28, 2010 1:13 PM PST

The best I can think of would be the Canon S90 and you'd just have to possiblykick up the ISO indoors to ISO 800 or 1600. It's not as good as a DSLR but it appears to be the leader, with the G11, in low light for a point and shoot, with it's lower noise in high ISOs and fast aperture lens. You won't be getting a long zoom though, but if you're main priority is getting the indoor shots then you'll just have to compromise on it.

Collapse -
Auditorium/gym
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 29, 2010 12:49 AM PST

"Set on Automatic and forget it."

So far, no one has built such a camera.
They try, but it is not possible.
As Kalel33 mentioned, the Canon G11 is about as good as you can get.
It tries to guess what kind of environment you are in and adjusts itself accordingly. But that adds some shutter lag.

The SD940IS will do better than your SD600.
But, you MUST get out of Auto mode to even have a chance at a good photo in an Auditorium/gym.

The newer SD cameras have a Program Mode (P on the mode dial).
That lets you adjust the camera to better suit the environment.
1. Switch Mode dial from Auto to P.
2. Turn the Flash OFF (the flash can only illuminate 12 feet from the camera and it is detrimental to what you want to accomplish).
3. Set the ISO to 400.
4. Set the Exposure setting to "Spot Metering".
5. Use as little optical zoom as possible.
...A lens looses light as it zooms.
...Zero zoom is the brightest setting.

Take a deep breath and cross your fingers.
Now take a photo and check the results.

If the whole picture is blurry, you are not holding the camera steady.
If people are moving when you took the photo and they show some motion blur, set the ISO to 800.

The higher you set the ISO, the more noise you will get.
But that is better than a Dark photo.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by akmontgomery / January 29, 2010 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: Auditorium/gym

Thank you so much for your response! Would the S90 be total overkill for me?

Collapse -
S90
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 29, 2010 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

The S90 is the best choice.

Not overkill, but it may be over budget.

Collapse -
s90
by akmontgomery / January 29, 2010 9:51 AM PST
In reply to: S90

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I appreciate any and all advice. Would the s90 be complicated with all of the adjusting? Or would the sd940 be good enough?

Collapse -
no
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / January 29, 2010 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: s90

The S90 is still just a point and shoot, so you can use it in auto modes, but if you find the photos blurry or dark indoors then you can adjust the ISO higher to get the type of picture you are looking for.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.