Cameras forum

General discussion

Which Camera to choose- Canon A550 or Panasonic Lumix LZ7K

by sunilshishodia / April 10, 2007 6:06 AM PDT

Hi,
I have zeroed on Canon A550 and Panasonic LZ7K.I am not sure which one to choose. I want the camera for personal use and no professional thing. I have read reviews of both and have got confused. I want that my camera should give me clear pictures in most light conditions and less snow.I have seen canon A540 results and I saw snow on pictures (viewing on computer monitor) even taken in daylight.So, please suggest me the digital camera. My choice is not restricted to these two , but any camera that will provide me clear pictures.

Regards,

sunil

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Camera to choose- Canon A550 or Panasonic Lumix LZ7K
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Camera to choose- Canon A550 or Panasonic Lumix LZ7K
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 10, 2007 8:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
Performance of Panasonic in low light?
by sunilshishodia / April 10, 2007 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Which

How is the performance of panasonic in low light conditions? I saw that canon A540 shot images at ISO 80 and still had snow and pictures came dark.I fear for succh things happening after getting didgicam.So , suggest me .I cannot make of any thing from technical specs as I am no professional.By naked eye, tech specs of Panasonic overweighs canon.So , please suggest.

Collapse -
Low Light
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 10, 2007 12:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
Panasonics previous version
by woodygg / April 12, 2007 6:28 AM PDT

performs HORRIBLE under low light situations (I had one). I really wanted the Panasonic to work out as I loved the 28mm lens, the look and the build quality. It was plagued with a great deal of noise. In addition, it had significant 'watercolor' issues.

I hear this camera is a bit better in that department, but still has the same issues.

You'll need to check this camera, but the Panasonic I owned had issues with the flash as it would only shoot at 1/30 (as opposed to 1/60) with the flash. This created it's own set of problems.

Mind you these are comments related to a different model Panasonic...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=20889473
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=20885438

Collapse -
Please try not to repeat your criticism as if all Panasonic
by pchew1954 / April 14, 2007 11:25 AM PDT

"Big Brother is watching you "woodygg" ... "

In case you're wondering why I am replying to your comments- you appear to insist on labouring a point about different aspects of artefacts (like your persistence with watercolour effects - BTW this is a commoners' reference, not a technical reference) and bragging about your VIP status & experiences in photography.

Please will you readup again on flash photography before you shame yourself when making blanketing comments on exposures at 1/30th sec & 1/60th sec... consult your other proclaimed "better" sites and let me know what your other brothers will be advising you?

You also claim to try to be objective, but your 'repeated' criticism of Panasonic seems to omit any reference to any test criteria, e.g. conditions of climate, (i.e. available lighting conditions) - which would partly explain why "you" in particular is the "only" person achieving these watercolour deffects ...

You may wish to learn that neither 1/30th sec or 1/6oth sec exposures will have any significant bearing on the speed of flashgun exposures ... and their effect on pixels - when distances of flach to subject is more important than mere shutter speeds,
relating to your ref to "watercolour effects" - certainly not within the 'NIL' info you provided regarding when and what conditions were such pictures taken.

Panasonic DMC-FX07.
Whilst that was some months ago, you are now begining to discredit the other photographically informed members of CNET (especially some of us with more detailed experience than yours in flash technology) , by starting to tar the brand of Panasonic once again.

If you havent tried the newer model, your comments are not at all relevant. (Other CNET members can readilly lookup your earlier remarks/thread without any need of your faithless reminders)

Are you bored or something?

Please kindly state any test conditions (if you have even established some?) in future when you want to put yourself on some kind of pedestal of 'digital camera expertise'

Every different available lighting condition or scenario will cause each different camera model to respond and perform in different ways, which will partially explain why you seem very frustrated with repeatedly achieving pixelated results -

no one else appears to have the same defect achievement rate like you are getting? At least not with that kind of regularity!?

I can only suggest that the old addage -
" a little knowledge is very dangerous "
and you appear to be one of those victims.

CNET isnt a place to place bets on - and I really couldnt stand it anymore reading your doubly protective method of writing, and simply have to ask you to stop bragging about your "qualification" approach -Everyone else has just as much relevance to make their comments,
and any 10- out- of - 10 vote is genuinely an honest vote proclaimed by that writer.

Your attempt at rescaling other people's votes of delight - isnt really welcomed, and your attempts to "qualify" your expertise, actually gets people's backs up.
Whilst some of us are gracious enough to apologise for their rebuttal of your '4 out of ten' vote on that Lumix DMC- FX07,

you were'nt quite as gracious,
but continued to requalify your college and/or photographic prowess !
"We're" watching you .... alright?

Seems there are others more 'knowledgeable' than you have just come on board ?
I wonder how this makes you feel?

BTW - I dont work for Panasonic, or CNET, nor have I ever voted 10-out-of-10 on anything and I certainly do have "some" experience in not just photography, today and throughout my entire working life -

You should really leave your career CV back in the folio ... there's no need to brag about how much more your opinion matters than those others who want to continue to vote 10- out - of - 10
Just make your comments and leave them to be as significant contributors as you are.

Can you?

Collapse -
wow.....
by woodygg / April 15, 2007 2:02 PM PDT

apparently i'm not the bored one....

'which would partly explain why "you" in particular is the "only" person achieving these watercolour deffects ... "

go on a real photography site... that's where I confirmed it wasn't just me that was seeing these results.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?