General discussion

Which camera is right for me? Urgent expert advice required

Hi everyone.
I'm looking to buy a camera or camcorder and here are my preferences:
Size/weight does not matter to me.
Look/design does not matter to me.
Price matters i.e. it should be cheap around $600-$700
MAIN THING: Video quality matters!!! I want exceptional video quality.
ANOTHER VERY IMPORTANT FACTOR: I want to have the Depth of field look in my videos i.e. I should be focused and my background should not be!
It should take averagely nice photos.
Please help me out as I've googled to the extent of madness!
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Which camera is right for me? Urgent expert advice required
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Which camera is right for me? Urgent expert advice required
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Ease of use?

How important is ease of use? A camcorder will be a lot easier to use than a DSLR camera, but it won't have the short depth of field that the DSLR will have. A DSLR is capable of high quality video, but it will take lots of experience to get it.

- Collapse -
a few possible suggestions

You might look into the Sony A33, Nikon D3100, or the Panasonic GF1. Those all have autofocus while filming and are around your price range.

- Collapse -
Query.

Hi.
I checked out your proposals and Panasonic GF1 appealed to me the most.
My questions: does it shoot 1080p video?
will i get the shallow depth of field with it?
will I be able to view live video while recording on my pc?
Thanks a bunch!

- Collapse -
some answers

It does not shoot 1080p, but really, if your television isn't 50" or larger then you don't notice the difference between 1080 and 720. I have a 56" TV and it's still not that much of a difference.

Yes you can get shallow DOF, but not as much as an APS-C sensor camera, but then again, the APS-C sensor doesn't do as shallow as a full frame sensor. It depends on how shallow you want it and also depends on the lens you buy for it.

I don't believe any DSLR or ILC(interchangeable lens camera) can record straight to the PC.

- Collapse -
re: will i get the shallow depth of field with it?

In theory, yes. In practice, not really. The problem is that there's currently a dearth of fast/bright/large aperture native m4/3 lenses. (e.g. 20mm f1.7) While it's possible to use non-native lenses, you will lose some, if not all, auto-functionality.

And personally, I wouldn't classify the GF1's video quality as "exceptional"; "OK for the price" is how I would call it.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info