Cameras forum

General discussion

which camera for mothers ?

by benditacora / January 28, 2009 10:28 PM PST

Can anyone help, there are so many and they have too many features.

I am looking for a point and shoot camera, compact size, no manual controls, really simple but with a GREAT ZOOM. I want really nice looking pictures of my children both outdoors and indoors. So low light and white balance and colors can be an issue.

Zoom available when shooting short videos ( 2/3 minutes )

I need red eye control, image stab, if possible view finder, video out, usb, etc.

The problem seems to be that when they have this it comes bundled with lots of other features which I don't need and which not only makes very expensive but demands that I dedicate to it more time then I have.

thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which camera for mothers ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which camera for mothers ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 12:08 AM PST

The reason you are having problems finding such a camera is because no one has built one yet.

Zoom while using video - There are only about 5 cameras that will do that.
And with 4 of those 5, the microphone will pick up the noise of the zoom motor and you will hear the motor when you play the video.
The one with a silent zoom motor is rather large and has lots of things to learn.

Good pictures in low light - As long as you use flash, most digital cameras can do this.
If you want good pictures in low light without flash - none of the small/inexpensive digital cameras can do that.

Red Eye - All small digital cameras are susceptible to red-eye.
Red Eye preventive flash works some times but may result in people shutting their eyes during the shot.
Some cameras have Red Eye removal built into the camera, that seems to be the best solution.

View Finder - Very few small cameras have viewfinders.
Some of the Canon SD series have viewfinders.
All of the Sony W series have viewfinders.
And that is it.

5. Great Zoom - lots of camera with great zoom but they are not compact cameras.
One exception - The Panasonic TZ5 is compact with 10X zoom.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=panasonic_dmctz5&show=all

Collapse -
thank you
by benditacora / January 29, 2009 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: Which Camera

Now I understand why I couldn't find it though I have been reading for the past 2 Days!

What would you buy in my shoes, for picture quality and capacity to shoot short videos.

is there really any difference between a Canon SD870, SD880 or a Panasonic TZ5 or a Fuji F100Fd or a Lumix F37.

I don't mean the specs but in real life when I shall be using it?

thank you

Collapse -
Comparison
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: thank you

The Canon SD880 is the replacement for the one year older SD870.
They sell for about the same.....choose the SD880 over the SD870.

The Fujifilm F100fd offers 5X optical zoom and is a tiny bit better in low light.

The Panasonic TZ5 has 10X optical zoom.
It is about 1/2 inch thicker that the other cameras.

I have not heard of a Panasonic F37 but there is a FX37.
The FX37 has a 5X optical zoom and the smallest camera (slightly) in the bunch.

Here is a link that compares specifications:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sd870is%2Ccanon_sd880is%2Cfuji_finepixf100fd%2Cpanasonic_dmcfx37%2Cpanasonic_dmctz5&show=all

Notice the red stars....that is how owners of the cameras rate their cameras.

Right under the red stars is a link to "owners opinions".
Click on that and you can read what owners have to say about their cameras.

Collapse -
reading the camera reviews makes imposible to choose
by benditacora / January 29, 2009 11:23 PM PST
In reply to: Comparison

Hi,
thanks for your last post. Reading this reviews has been one of the most fustrating experiences in my life. I basically don't want a camera anymore. It is impossible to decide. But it has helped me make some choices. Now I need the camera for this.

Picture quality over features and zoom

will put up with something a bit chunky
video quality and avi format

less then $300

any ideas?

Collapse -
Digital Cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 7:00 AM PST

I have run out of ideas.

It appears that you are wanting a camera that does not exist.

You are wanting a camera that takes good still pictures and also works well as a camcorder.

The digital camera is designed to take good still pictures and the video is an afterthought.

A camcorder is designed to take good video and still pictures are an afterthought.

Sanyo has built a few cameras that did both jobs equally well, but they were actually a camcorder and a still camera in one case with two lenses.
The cost ranged between $600 and $1,000.
They only sold a few.

Perhaps someone else will have some ideas.

Collapse -
hehe
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / January 30, 2009 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Digital Cameras

I didn't answer because I didn't have any clue to fill the requirements. She did back down on some of the things though. For an all around, great image quality, decently small, fast, and versatile camera, I'd say the Canon A720IS. It's just below your $300 budget and it's a great camera.

Collapse -
A720IS
by benditacora / January 30, 2009 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: hehe

thank you for your sugestion.

I was reading about the A 720 earlier on. thinking of putting it in my list instead of the SX110.

can you tell me which picture quality you would prefer between the following
Canon A720, A590, sd110, sd 880, Pana TZ5, Sony sw150 or Finepix f1000fd

Collapse -
for some
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / January 30, 2009 1:44 PM PST
In reply to: A720IS

I don't know much about the TZ5 or F1000, but out of the other's I'd choose the A720IS if I were buying a point and shoot and my limit was $300. Here is a flikr group page showing A720IS shots from others.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/a710is/pool/

One other option is to wait and see if something good comes out of PMA(kind of like the Consumer Electronics Show for cameras) and it's happening pretty soon.

Collapse -
A720 thank you
by benditacora / January 30, 2009 9:32 PM PST
In reply to: for some

thanks for the post. This is the camera I will get

do you know a retailer named Refurb depot?

They are offering it for $100 dollars less than amazon.

Collapse -
don't
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / January 31, 2009 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: A720 thank you

Bad rated seller. If it's too good to be true, then it's a bait & switch place in Brooklyn.

Collapse -
thank you
by benditacora / January 31, 2009 12:47 AM PST
In reply to: don't

thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!