Cameras forum

General discussion

which camera

by mako man / March 18, 2009 2:59 AM PDT

I'm looking for a decent digital camera that takes very good photographs.Value 150.00 to 300.00. The camera will be used mostly on a boat so a wide angle would be a good asset. I have minimum experience with cameras so I would appreciate any imput. Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 18, 2009 1:07 PM PDT
In reply to: which camera
Collapse -
Need a new digital camera
by rrebecca / March 24, 2009 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Which Camera

Hello. Last time I was here I got a recommendation for a digital camera. It was a cannon elph and I loved it. Unfortunately, I washed and dried it over the weekend. I have yet to see if the memory stick is working. In any event, I'm back looking for a new camera. We take pictures just to keep memories of family events and whatnot. I did want one that doesn't take long between shots, 8mp at least and has all the other little extras most cameras have. I would like good zoom power, and compact too. Sorry, I ask alot, but, not too pricey either. Under $300 if possible. So, what do you suggest. I can't for the life of me remember the model I had though.
Thanks,
Rebecca

Collapse -
Digital Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 24, 2009 8:27 AM PDT

If you had a Canon elph, it is also known as the SD series of cameras by Canon.

Here is a list of the current models:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sd770is%2Ccanon_sd790is%2Ccanon_sd880is%2Ccanon_sd890is&show=all

The main difference between the cameras is that some have a 3 inch LCD and some have a 2.5 inch LCD.
The ones with the 3 inch LCD do not have a viewfinder.
The ones with the 2.5 inch LCD have a viewfinder.

The SD880 has a wider angle lens.
The SD890 has the most optical zoom (5X)

Collapse -
new camera
by rrebecca / March 24, 2009 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Digital Camera

Thanks for that. The time between each shot taken is called what? This is one of my main concerns with a camera. I take a picture and if I want to take a few more consecutively, it takes a bit for the camera to get ready and it drives me nuts because I miss great shots especialy with kids and babys.
If I wanted a camera that was super fast, how much would that run me about?

Collapse -
New Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 25, 2009 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: new camera

That is called "shot-to-shot" time.
With many cameras that may be only 1.2 seconds.

My guess is, that you are using flash.
And that adds to the shot to shot time, because the flash capacitor has to recharge between shots.
That adds an additional 2 seconds (or more).

You can help matters by having a freshly charged battery in the camera.
That lets the flash capacitor recharge faster.
Also the very first flash (after turning-on the camera) will have a long shutter lag due to having to initially charge the capacitor.
So, take one flash shot just to charge the capacitor before getting down to more serious shooting.

All of the Canon "SD" series of cameras have a good shot-to-shot time.

Collapse -
What else do you suggest?
by rrebecca / April 17, 2009 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Digital Camera

I have not made a decision yet. I was just wondering what other cameras you would recommend besides the Canon Elph SD series? Thank you.

Collapse -
Others
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 17, 2009 7:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
well?
by jctilbury / April 27, 2009 4:43 AM PDT

i am in the exact same situation.. dod you get the camera? and do you like it? I cant decide between that one and the Lumix

Collapse -
No camera yet
by rrebecca / April 27, 2009 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: well?

I haven't gotten any yet. Waiting for Mother's day. I like the 880 but at this point, I realize the pixels are just not that important so I may get an older canon elph if I find a good one. I was looking at the sd1000 I think and it seems decent, but then again, i'm not certain. Any advice from CNET on the Canon Elph Sd1000? Again, I want a basically all aroung good compat digital, specifically an Elph, pixels not important, price is.
Also, what about the new Nikon Coolpix with touchscreen?
Thanks.

Collapse -
don't get the Nikon
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / April 27, 2009 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: No camera yet

That Nikon Coolpix, with touchscreen, has been getting hammered in reviews. It's a lot of cool features and skimps on what matters, image quality.

Collapse -
Nikon
by rrebecca / April 27, 2009 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: don't get the Nikon

Thanks. I knew it was too good to be true. Its expensive too. Back to the drawing board then.

Collapse -
cannon SD 880IS
by mako man / March 19, 2009 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: which camera

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'm seriously considering the Canon SD880IS. Do you guys think this would be a good camera? I like the size because its very easy to carry and use on a boat, but I would also like to get good home pictures of the children.
Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Canon SD880
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 24, 2009 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: cannon SD 880IS
Collapse -
features
by shesaidshehad1 / April 21, 2009 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: cannon SD 880IS

Well, from a boat make sure you get a waterproof one! I didn't even "need" waterproof but now that I have it, it's amazing and I love the underwater pics Happy

Collapse -
Which camera?
by j5shock / April 28, 2009 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: features

Hi mako man & rrebecca,

The Canon SD880 IS is an excellent choice because is has got a 28mm wide-angle to 112mm mild telephoto lens. Also, check out Canon's D10, it is waterproof to 10m with 35mm-105mm lens.

Look at Panasonic's Lumix DMC-TS1(DMC-FT1 in europe), 28-129mm lens, waterproof to 3m or 10ft, shockproof from 1.5m (5ft).

Good luck!

j5s

Collapse -
What about a Nikon?
by rrebecca / April 29, 2009 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Which camera?

Thanks for that! My husband just told me about a Nikon, not compact at all, which he says takes awesome pics, they use it at his job and he says its super fast shot to shot, so good for action pics, but, he doesn't know the model and said it cost about $600+. Any suggestions on a Nikon like I described?

Thanks much!

Collapse -
don't know
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / April 29, 2009 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: What about a Nikon?

The most expensive, non-DSLR, Nikon is the P90 and it's MSRP is $399.99.

Collapse -
DSLR
by rrebecca / April 29, 2009 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: don't know

What does DSLR mean/stand for?

Collapse -
it stands for
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / April 29, 2009 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: DSLR

Digital Single Lens Reflex. It's a professional style camera that has a much larger learning curve and lens can easily cost more than the camera. The Nikon D60 is around that price, but you'd only have, in point and shoot speak, a 3x zoom.

Collapse -
Shot to Shot
by rrebecca / April 29, 2009 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: it stands for

What other cameras can you suggest with super fast shot to shot, decent screen and just a good camera for the money, full sized or compact?

Collapse -
Shot to Shot time
by j5shock / April 30, 2009 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Shot to Shot

Hi rebecca,

The Nikon Coolpix P90 & the Pentax X70 is basically the same camera under the badge. So, if you like the Nikon P90, you might want to check out the X70 it should be cheaper later & it has a better feature set (like shoot 720P HD video{1280X720} which is better than Nikon's standard 640X480 video) too.

The Canon SX10 IS has a smaller range of zoom (like 20X vs 24X zoom lens), but the LCD screen can rotate freely. Should check this one out.Thanks for now!

j5

Collapse -
so many choices
by rrebecca / April 30, 2009 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Shot to Shot time

Thank you. I'll let you know what I decide on.

Collapse -
Back to compact digital cameras
by rrebecca / May 1, 2009 2:38 PM PDT

Ok, so I've decided no SLR's. Too big, and looks like too complicated. I really seem to like the reviews for the Canon SD880. I guess I just want to be sure its one of the best within that price range as far as shot to shot speed, lcd, zoom and all the other things that make an awesome digital camera. I feel like I'm missing some other detail for determining what makes a camera great. Of course I want clear sharp colorful photos. I promise I won't ask again!
Thank you everyone!

Collapse -
Nikon D40
by rrebecca / May 8, 2009 10:24 AM PDT

Thanks to everyone for their advice. We just got the Nikon D40. I can't believe it diddn't even come with a memory card. We didn't get the warranty, should we have? It came with a lens, and they tried to sell us an additional lens but we said no thanks. We aren't professionals and since its our first SLR, we've always had just compact digital cameras, I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg yet. I was wondering if there's a place on line where we can learn about using an SLR, kinda like and SLR's for Dummies tutorial with the lingo meanings and stuff? They tried selling me that book too, LOL. I just hate reading those instruction guides, but if I must, I must.
Rebecca

Collapse -
Some suggestions
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / May 8, 2009 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Nikon D40

The best way would be to take a community college or adult learning photography course.

The best book I know of and is recommended all the time on forums I participate in is:

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241831198&sr=1-1

or

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241831198&sr=1-3

Online sites you can learn from also are:

Here's a forum thread about what other choices there are. They were people that jumped into DSLR photography without learning about photography and stumbled. Many people gave very good suggestions. I see these threads quite often, it's why I gave the caveat for learning curve but it's worth it.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1002&message=31748520&q=sites+learning&qf=m

http://www.dpreview.com/ and http://www.fredmiranda.com/ have very good forums on different types and levels of photography.

Collapse -
learning about slr
by rrebecca / May 8, 2009 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Some suggestions

Thanks. I'm getting overwhelmed already because this camers is so different from my past compact cameras. I don't know if the lcd screen can stay on to take my photos instead of using the actual viewfinder and the lens hardly has any zoom power. I'm beginning to think this was a mistake. I will try the dvd and forums, hopefully they will help me.

Collapse -
There's no live view
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / May 8, 2009 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Some suggestions

The D40 does not have live view, so you have to use the viewfinder(which is much better). Even with the DSLRs that have live view they are extremely slow focusing compared to using the viewfinder(different autofocus methods). The D40 comes with the 18-55 kit lens which is the equivalent to a 3x zoom. You can get the 55-250VR for around $300, but a better choice is the 70-300VR for a little over $500.

You're also going to have to deal with the flash for indoors because the kit lens does not have a large aperture(larger aperture means faster shutter speeds). You could get the 35mm F1.8 for indoors, but that adds another $200 to your total. Like I said, it's an expensive hobby and has a decent learning curve. It's worth it if you invest the time and money into the equipment.

Collapse -
DVD for Nikon D40
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 8, 2009 11:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Nikon D40
by j5shock / May 8, 2009 6:31 PM PDT

Hi Rebecca,

Congrats on your choice of the Nikon D40. Although, I'd recommend the D40X or the D60 (if you had let known that you are buying an DSLR), reason being: the later edition of even the same range; the better, it seem, the image quality. These two cameras also has a higher resolution (10 million or megapixel vs 6) than the D40. The higher the resolution the better you'll be able to enlarge (or blowup) your picture without the image going like mosaic tiles. The basic package usually comes with one lens of 18-55mm (about 3X) zoom range.

Now that you bought the D40, budget or save some money to buy a telephto zoom lens of say 70-300mm or 55-200mm range (like the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED [4.3X zoom] or some brands other than Nikon, e.g. Sigma, Tamron or Tokina. Try Sigma for a more rounded range.). This should give you more zoom power. Of the two lens mentioned above, I'd go for the 70-300mm zoom. This gives you 16.67X your original 18mm.

First, go to a friendly photo store & ask to try out the lens you intend to purchase before making any decision.

The D40 does not allow you to view the scene on the LCD screen before you take a shot. This ability to view scenes on the LCD is call 'Live View' & it is on all of the compacts & lately some DSLR but sadly not on the D40, 40X or D60. The new Nikon D5000 has it though.

Hope that helps you.

j5s

Collapse -
Nikon D40
by rrebecca / May 11, 2009 12:15 AM PDT

Thank you. It was my husbands choice and it seemed the most affordable and from what I read on CNET a good first SLR when transitioning from traditional digital compacts. I certainly want the telephot lense but I figure I'll learn how to use this camera first and then invest in another lense. I was thinking about joing a photography club in my area.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?