Camcorders forum

General discussion

Which Camcorder Should I Buy? Sony HDR-SR11 or Canon HF10?

by iPr0kka / January 15, 2009 6:04 AM PST

Hey guys!

I'm looking forward to purchasing a video camcorder. I've done extensive research online for video camcorders and I narrowed it between two potential camcorders... The Sony HDR-SR11 and the Canon Vixia HF10.

I've compared both camcorders' specs and such. I'm leaning towards to the Sony HDR-SR11 but I'm also tempted for the Canon HF10! I've gone through so many reviews through various websites (Amazon, CNET & CamcorderInfo) for these camcorders.

Both are HD camcorders and I am an HD enthusiast. What I am really looking for are the features that make the camcorder stand out better over the other...

So what makes the SR11 superior in features over the HF10 or vice versa?! This is where I need you guys...

I've read that the HF10 has a 24p/30p mode and the SR11 doesn't. Is 24p/30p mode really essential? Also HF10 uses flash memory (has a 16GB internal flash memory) and uses SD cards. The SR11 has a built-in 60GB hard drive and uses memory sticks.

Also I did some research that the HF10 is purely for HD and has no option for standard definition recording. Unfortunately, high definition hasn't hit mainstream with most of my friends and relatives.

Also price isn't an issue for me. Currently the HDR-SR11 retails for about $700 and the HF10 approximately $640 (Amazon prices).

Which one is the better camcorder for me?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Camcorder Should I Buy? Sony HDR-SR11 or Canon HF10?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Camcorder Should I Buy? Sony HDR-SR11 or Canon HF10?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your choice...
by Papa Echo / January 15, 2009 6:49 AM PST

You mentioned that you are an HD enthusiast, which implies that you are experienced in camcorders ...
So, you have done your research, and found that this model has this feature, but .... and that model has that feature, but..... How nice it would be, if a particular model has all the features you want and like...but such a model will not be made... So, toss a coin (say a prayer before that,if you like...) and purchase the model. Don't listen to what other people say, and enjoy using the camcorder.

Collapse -
viewfinder
by chickenorfish / January 15, 2009 8:51 AM PST

the sr11 has a viewfinder. that would be a easy pick for me. my dad got the sr11 the other day and its awesome

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.