TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Which blu-ray player will do the best upconverting my DVD's?

by the99inbr / July 27, 2008 6:41 AM PDT

Now that the format war is over between blue-ray and HD-DVD, I'm looking to upgrade my DVD player. The question I have is, which blu-ray player will work best with my system? My tv is a Sony KDS-R50XBR1 which I believe can only display up to 1080i. My AV receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1016TXV. I'm primarily looking for a player that will 1) produce the best picture and sound from blu-ray discs, 2) do a great job upconverting all my DVD's, and 3) load movies quickly. My budget is in the $400 - $600 range. I've read several reviews online, but as the subject line suggests I still have a lot of questions about which player will do the best upconverting DVD's consistent with my tv and receiver.

Thanks for the help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which blu-ray player will do the best upconverting my DVD's?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which blu-ray player will do the best upconverting my DVD's?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well
by jostenmeat / July 27, 2008 7:46 AM PDT

I think the PS3 might be best for you. Its the fastest loading (though some say others can be as fast, or nearly so. The issue is that DVD playback is said to be average. My Panasonic is the worst, by far, in this regard.

The best chips for DVD playback are Reon as far as current BD players, and I think of Samsung. I wouldn't go for that line yet, for certain reasons.

I say PS3. If you need better DVD playback, you can price some Oppos, even on the used market if you have to. Some decent entry Denons can be had for solid deals on classifieds. Etc.

You may not because either 1. PS3 is plenty good for you. 2. You do like me, and forgo standard def viewing altogether.

Collapse -

I have the samsung bd-p1200, it has the HQV chip & does a VERY good job at upscaling BUT samsung has been not very good with their updates, the last one fixed many problems I was having with BD & one with DVD's that another update made.
Samsung is coming out with a new HQV bd player in Sept, ? on price, it will also decode DTS-HD & DDtrue through analogs (7.1) + it is a 2.0 player (bd-live & all that)

on the PS3 - Onething to keep in mind, the PS3 ONLY has 2.0 analogs outs & your reciever is Just Passthrough, so if you want that good HD audio, your limited to 2.0 PCM. I would Not get one in your place because on that & a few other reasons.

Look for a player that has 5.1 or 7.1 analogs out (depending on your reciever & speaker set-up) that can also interaly decode DTS-HD + DDtrue & bitstream out via analogs so you can get DTS-HD, DDtrue & PCM in 5.1 or 7.1. Off hand - Sony bd 350 or 550, panisonic 50k, Samsung 1400 (not 1500) or samsung bd-p2500

Collapse -
I agree with Jostenmeat...

that the PS3 would be best for you. It is the fastest loading, most future proof, and obviously performs many other functions besides video playback.

Where I disagree with him is when he says that the DVD upscaling is just average. It is actually rather good. Not on par with a high end upscaler, but as good as most others.

The one snag in this might be the audio end as givenname said, depending on your current setup. If you are using optical audio now, then you could continue to do that with t6he PS3. You would be able to listen to a better sounding version of the same Dolby and DTS Digital 5.1 audio that you have been listening to. The downside is that you would not be able to listen to the HD audio tracks.

You could go with the PS3 and live without the HD tracks, but benefit from all of the other advantages that the PS3 offers over other Stand alone BD players.

Or, you could go with the PS3 and upgrade your receiver to one of the cheap, but excellent performing and feature rich Onkyo's, and get the HD tracks through HDMI.

Or, you could go with a stand alone that offers multi channel analog outputs as givenname suggested, and make concessions in the areas of upgrade ability, loading time, possible DVD upscaling, and losing all of the other features that the PS3 offers aside from video playback.

It is basically a question of what are your priorities and what can you spend.

Are you interested in games?
Are you interested in using the PS3 as a media PC?
Do you need the HD audio tracks or will you be OK with the upgraded Dolby and DTS 5.1 as long as you have the great HD visuals?
If you need the HD audio, are you willing to upgrade your receiver for one of the Onkyo HDMI receivers (probably run you $300-400 if you either buy online or can get your local store to match one of the cheaper online prices)?

If you can answer those questions, then you will know which direction to go?

Good luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?