Computer Help forum

General discussion

Which Antivirus is better

by bigd6281 / June 21, 2009 2:55 PM PDT

OK i am using avg but i dont htink its detection rate is realiable

since i am comcast customer i get mcafee free but i have it on another computer and it seems to bog it down

so i need help picking a new anivirus please keep in mind that im looking for free programs and also please specify why they are better

such as detection rate etc..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Antivirus is better
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Antivirus is better
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try this
by philbernie / June 21, 2009 4:37 PM PDT

avira. loads relatively fast and it's free. also you may want to find out about steadystate.

Collapse -
I heard avira gives u a Trojan
by bigd6281 / June 21, 2009 5:52 PM PDT
In reply to: try this

I looked at avira and in reviews more than 1 person says avira has some Trojan file in it's system!!

Collapse -
Avast is really good
by pavanzcool / June 21, 2009 6:13 PM PDT

Avast AntiVirus is a real good Free software. This is the only antivirus which gives u a BOOT SCAN, where the computer starts scanning the PC even before the OS is loaded completely.
Also the network security is pretty decent than any other Software.

I am using it since more than 3 years and never had any problem with it.

McAfee made my PC slow and hence I had to shift to this one and never had any issues with this.
I rate it 4.5/5.

Regards,
Pavan.

Collapse -
Free AV . . .
by Coryphaeus / June 21, 2009 9:45 PM PDT

I've used AVG for several years on my five PCs. Light on resources, never had a problem. Why do you think it is not reliable? It consistently gets high marks in testing.

Collapse -
Completely agree about AVG
by rje49 / June 22, 2009 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Free AV . . .

I've used AVG for about 6 years without a problem, too. I've lost count of how many computers I've had to help sort out that had a paid, but expired, AV program!

Collapse -
by bigd6281 / June 22, 2009 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Free AV . . .

Umm becausei dont care what testings say i dont like it i dont think its detection rate is all that thats Y IM LOOKING FOR NEWER ANTIVIRUS

Collapse -
Basically three options
by Jimmy Greystone / June 21, 2009 11:36 PM PDT

You have basically thee options if you want a free AV: AVG Free, Avast, and Avira.

Avira will NOT contain any trojans if you download it from a trusted source. People who claim that almost always either a pre-existing security issue and confuse the AV program alerting them to it after they install it, with the program having caused it, or they tried to get a "cracked" full copy that someone slipped a nasty surprise into.

What Avira DOES do, is pop up these annoying nag screens trying to get you to buy the paid version.

Avast is pretty good, but about once a year you have to go through a registration process. Minor hassle really, but a hassle none the less.

AVG Free is also pretty good, but it's gotten a bit bloated in recent versions. It IS the most comprehensive of the free virus scanners out there, doing some basic malware protection as well as virus/trojan/worm. I just haven't been a big fan of it since version 8 came out and they included this link scanner program. It's a good idea in theory... A small program is embedded into your browser that checks links on web pages to make sure that they don't contain some kind of malicious payload. Problem is it's been a HUGE headache for website managers, causing their bandwidth use to spike, and of course AVG has tried to make this look as much like normal browser traffic as possible. They have a legitimate reason for doing that... If it were easy to filter out, then ne'er do wells would simply do that. But I've noticed that my HTPC which uses AVG Free, is much slower loading web pages than my main desktop. The two systems are almost identical in specification, and the only major difference is my main desktop runs Kaspersky, and the HTPC uses AVG Free.

McAfee isn't even worth the price of free IMO. While it's detection rates seem pretty good overall, it will lop a good 25-33% off the top of your computer's performance, just as part of its normal operation. Norton is probably even worse, being the epitome of product bloat, combined with pretty regular false-positive issues.

I do like Kaspersky, and you can often find free after rebate, or nearly free, deals if you watch places like Fry's. If you don't live in SF Bay Area California, where you can barely throw a rock without hitting a Fry's, you can still usually get the deal on their website. Same goes for a number of other AV programs. Watch a site like Slickdeals long enough, and you're bound to see various deals involving AV programs.

Collapse -
Ty Jim
by bigd6281 / June 22, 2009 8:11 AM PDT

Thank you Jim for actually giving me some information on the subjects

Collapse -
AVG Link scanner
by rje49 / June 22, 2009 8:23 AM PDT

You can run AVG without the link scanner. Uninstall your current AVG, download the current version. At the "Install" option, choose "Custom". Proceeding, un-check Link Scanner". It's that simple.

Collapse -
More than anti-virus
by jeff_windows_team / June 22, 2009 6:03 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?