The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Which AMD/Sempron!!! Which Sempron/Athlon is recommendable

by da35ve / July 3, 2006 4:43 AM PDT

Can any one give user advice on which Sempron I should opt for mutlitasking Office use.

I have a P3 system, which I want to replace the CPU with an AMD and 512MB RAM; I am price consicious, so decided for Sempron.

Which Sempron/Athlon is recommendable and works better, with Less Price possible??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which AMD/Sempron!!! Which Sempron/Athlon is recommendable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which AMD/Sempron!!! Which Sempron/Athlon is recommendable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cannot be done...

Each motherboard only supports certain processors, and while I'd need the make and model to tell you which processors are supported, I can tell you right now that what you propose won't work. The reason is that a motherboard supports either Intel or AMD processors, not both, so if there's a P3 on it now it's an Intel board, meaning AMD processors are out of the question unless you replace the motherboard.

If you want to keep that motherboard, post back with its make and model number...if you don't know it you can use the free program Everest to find out. That will tell us what processors you can upgrade to. With it being an older model, though, your options will be limited. If you want to replace the motherboard, give a price range and we'll see what we can find for you.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
I'll Replace the Motherboard...
by da35ve / July 4, 2006 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Cannot be done...

Thanks for the reply, the link to EVEREST had helped.
I found out that my Motherboard is Tomato (Slot-A)type and is not in use now, for upgrade options.

I had decided to replace the motherboard, memory and the processor (of course to AMD)

May be Sempron 3100+ if its the best cheap option and 512 MB DDR2 RAM.

Collapse -
What price range?
by John.Wilkinson / July 6, 2006 7:15 AM PDT

The amount you're looking to spend is what will dictate how good of a processor and motherboard combo you can get. For a reference point, you can get the Sempron 3100+ for $77 with free shpping and handling (click here) and a compatible motherboard for around $50 (depending on the make/model). However, you'll be looking at DDR SDRAM, not DDR2 SDRAM. (DDR2 is new higher-end technology while the socket 754 Sempron is old low-end, so it'll be hard to impossible to find a mobo that incorporates the two.) List a price and we'll see how good we can go for a motherboard, processor, and RAM trifecta.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.