Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

which accounting software is recommended?

by allanforson / October 17, 2007 7:15 PM PDT

I am starting a new business and I would like to know which accounting software is recommended? I've been reading these "God awful" reviews on QuickBooks Pro 2007 on Amazon (how you have to buy each software package when it's time to "upgrade", horrible overseas tech support, having salespeople harass you, etc.) and how you get pop-ups that you can't disable to purchase their products. Are there anything that is just as good as QBs? I don't want to be quick to judge as I've just used <a href="http://www.integritymbs.com">Accounting Software</a> before and am very optimistic about it but still am looking for some reviews before going for it..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which accounting software is recommended?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which accounting software is recommended?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2007 10:34 PM PDT

I wonder if many are calling in to ask questions about accounting rather than the software. For example when we talk of double entry accounting many will not know what that is and expect the support lines to teach accounting. I'm unsure if the people who post understood accounting to begin with.

At least that's my view on many of those posts.

As to popups and such, I can't say it was that bad. At least the software does work.

Bob

Collapse -
To duckman: about double entry accounting.
by Kees Bakker / October 17, 2007 10:56 PM PDT

From wikipedia.

"In accountancy, the double-entry bookkeeping (or double-entry accounting) system is the basis of the standard system used by businesses and other organizations to record financial transactions. It was first described by the Italian mathematician Luca Pacioli, in his Summa de arithmetica, geometrica, proportioni et proportionalita (Venice, 1494)."

I don't see what's funny here. If you don't know what you're talking about, please limit yourself to Speakeasy. You'll find some fellows there.

Kees

Collapse -
I am familar with double-entry accounting
by duckman / October 17, 2007 11:03 PM PDT

And I think I will go where I wish

Collapse -
Glad to see new visitors here.
by Kees Bakker / October 17, 2007 11:36 PM PDT

As long as they adhere to the usual standards of this forum. And a 'hehehe, isn't it funny' post is rather usual in speakeasy, but definitely below the standards of the help-forums like this. And that's why I deleted it.

But you're invited to share your knowledge of office & productivity software here!

Kees

Collapse -
Accounting software for NZ/AU/UK markets
by tomachi / October 24, 2007 1:14 PM PDT

Not sure where you live, but you might like to try Accomplish Cashmanager, its made by an NZ company. They are live in NZ and AU and about to launch in the UK. Free trial software download is available from their website. Just google "Accomplish Cashmanager".

Collapse -
Accounting Software
by January8 / November 14, 2007 3:31 AM PST

I know many using QB Premier 2007 with no problems. There are alot of 3rd party software offered at Intuit's Marketplace to help with any special needs you may have. They are worth the price when they save you time... and time is money. Most have a trial or demo to test before you buy.
AaaTex

Collapse -
Accounting software....
by Papa Echo / November 16, 2007 4:16 PM PST

What business are you in ? Do you need "book keeping" or "Accounting" software ?

Maybe you do not need one at all. Most "gereral" software are not rrally suitable because of different requirements, and lost of "features" are not used, and therefore wasted,and so, most general software have to be further custmoized to suit the business. Some businesses also have their accounting software specially written.

A small shopkeeper can use a single Excel workbook, with several worksheets, and with intelligient and creative uses of functions and formula, macro and VBA for his "books" and keep complete sets of books ready for "auditing" - if that is required - only a simple accounting 'system' is required. A public Corporation or Company, withs lots more transactions and accounting entries,on the other hand, will need more sophicicated software because of the need to comply with more legal requirements...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?