PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Which 6800 should I get???

by andyrulez123 / November 16, 2005 11:45 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which 6800 should I get???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which 6800 should I get???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dude, get 6600GT instead..
by HKPK_2005 / November 16, 2005 12:31 PM PST
Collapse -
***....6800 is better than 6600gt
by nerdyboy1234 / November 16, 2005 1:16 PM PST

due to the 4 extra pipelines and 256 bit memory interface...
versus the 6600gts 8 pixelp ipelines and only 128bit memory interface

the extra money for the 6800 is worth it.

Collapse -
I kind of agree....
by HKPK_2005 / November 16, 2005 11:21 PM PST

Since the 6800 is slightly better than the 6600GT because it has 4 more pixel pipelines, it makes sense to get the 6800. But just the original 6800 won't give you awesome gaming performance, unless you overclock it like I do, which will definetly give you a extra boost in frame rates....

Collapse -
both are great brands but since evga cost a little less
by nerdyboy1234 / November 16, 2005 1:17 PM PST

and has more reviews...i would go for the evga one. but both evga and xfx are great brands.

Collapse -
I'd go with the EVGA but it's only because...
by martylk2 / November 16, 2005 11:54 PM PST

I have there products and because the EVGA card has a D-sub connector. Wouldn't have to use the adapter to hook up to an analog monitor. One small thing I wouldn't need to remember to bring with me when I go somewhere.

Never purchased any XFX stuff, yet. I will, though, eventually.

Collapse -
You can ulock and overclock!
by Olds / November 17, 2005 12:30 AM PST

Check this out:
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_unlocking/
You can unlock 4 extra pipelines and make the 6800 into a 6800GT, this only works for the AGP cards.

Next step is to overclock with coolbits:
http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/39-p1.php
Do these two things and you'll have a rocking card at a low price. Buy the lowest priced 6800 card, none of them stray very far, if at all, from the nVidia reference design.

Please don't be mad at me if you nuke your registry, or mess up your system, extreme caution should be taken when modifiying any software or system files!

Collapse -
unlock is kinda soso....sometimes they work sometimes they
by nerdyboy1234 / November 17, 2005 10:05 AM PST

dont.

i wouldnt unlock though as i remember reading something how it decreases memory speed or something,

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 6800GS SHould be coming out on AGP for christmas season
by damasta55r / November 17, 2005 2:19 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?