Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Whey protein, insulin and weight loss.

by Terry Browne / May 3, 2006 1:23 PM PDT

Does anyone (preferable a doctor or anyone with a lot of knowledge) know if there is any relation between whey protein, weight loss and above all an increase in the body's ability of producing insulin? I am not diabetic, but would like to lower my levels of sugar and I am currently taking whey protein (without sugar and aspartame). I take it after working out but also want to lose some weight. I am not taking it instead of eating but as a supplement to heal the muscles. I know muscles need protein after working out in order to develop, but is that counterproductive to weight loss?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whey protein, insulin and weight loss.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whey protein, insulin and weight loss.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Heal the muscles?
by Evie / May 3, 2006 11:07 PM PDT

Just food for thought. Does this sound right to you? What are you doing for exercise that is damaging them?

As to whey protein, insulin and blood sugar, there appears to be a lot of research in this area:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16002802&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum
http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/Publications.htm?seq_no_115=176930

You can go to a college library and find the journal articles.

An article I found:
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2006/mar2006_report_whey_01.htm

As to muscle building and weight loss, a pound is not a pound. Muscle actively burns calories all the time, fat does not. If you add muscle it will help take off more fat.

Collapse -
Re: Heal the muscles?
by jonah jones / May 3, 2006 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Heal the muscles?

probably a language problem...

#As to muscle building and weight loss, a pound is not a pound. Muscle actively burns calories all the time, fat does not. If you add muscle it will help take off more fat#

you ain't just whislin' Dixie bub....

fat comes down = muscle goes up = less fat = weight goes up....

Collapse -
Whey and repairing muscles...
by Terry Browne / May 4, 2006 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Heal the muscles?

''What are you doing for exercise that is damaging them?'' (Unfortunately there is a MS Microsoft Mobile ad over your last part of your reply!)

According to more than a few sites ''Whey is used by athletes to repair and build muscles after a tough workout.'' When lifting weights you damage the muscles AFAIK and thus shouldn't do it too often (not every day) and after doing it you should repair your muscles with protein. But that is only my thought and from my reading. I may be wrong and hence my question.

Collapse -
Quantity matters ...
by Bill Osler / May 4, 2006 11:46 AM PDT

I think the majority view is that strenuous exercise does do a little bit of easily repaired damage to muscles, and that strengthening comes from the body's response to the increased load on the muscle fibers. As the muscles are loaded the body tends to build up those fibers. It's part of a 'use it or lose it' phenomenon that also applies to bone density, brain function and other aspects of aging.

I'm not an expert in sports physiology, but I seriously doubt that there is anything magical about whey as such. Many people do recommend consuming a mixture of protein and carbohydrates after exercise to replenish some of the carbohydrates the body used as well as to fuel the muscle development that needs to take place. IIRC the thinking is that: (1) Sustained strenuous exercise uses up much of the carbohydrate supply (glycogen) stored in muscles. The body wants to rebuild the muscle glycogen stores after exercise and if you don't eat some carbohydrate the body may break down protein to obtain building blocks required to create new glycogen; and (2) The muscles you exercised need a protein supply soon after exercise so they can begin the hypertrophy process required to increase muscle mass and build strength.

So, could whey help? Probably, but I suspect any other good, low fat protein source would work as well. In fact, because whey contains very low carbohydrate levels it may not even be the best choice for some exercises. Not all experts agree on what the proper ratio of protein and carbohydrate should be post exercise and it is even possible that the optimum ratio depends on the nature, duration and intensity of exercise, but most people believe you need both carbs and protein within about 2 hours after strenuous exercise. Turkey sandwich anyone? (hold the mayo). Now, if you are weight lifting you may not need a lot of carbohydrate after exercise because weight lifting probably does not burn up a lot of glycogen. OTOH if you are riding a bicycle you probably do need to replace a moderate amount of carbohydrate in addition to the protein. Most people should do both resistance (weight lifting) and aerobic (running, walking, cycling, swimming, ...) exercise.

Does this sort of post-exercise supplementation interfere with weight loss? Maybe, maybe not. Quantity matters. You don't need a huge meal after exercise, and it is easy to overeat. Whatever you eat post exercise counts towards your daily allowance, so if you eat a big meal or take a lot of protein supplement, ... then you have to cut back a bit elsewhere in the day's intake.

Still, as Evie observed, the exercise can contribute to long term weight loss even if you do not initially lose because the muscle you are forming is metabolically active. More muscle = faster metabolism and that can contribute to weight loss over the long haul.

The trick is that when you increase your exercise you have to increase your intake by an amount less than the calories you burn during exercise.

Personally, I advise patients to pay less attention to weight. I want them to focus on exercise and proper diet. If you work on those things the weight will usually take care of itself. The thing is that you cannot directly control your weight. What you can control are diet and exercise so you need to focus on those, not the thing you can't control.

HTH,
'Dr. Bill'

Collapse -
Thank you so much Dr. Bill!
by Terry Browne / May 4, 2006 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Quantity matters ...

What's the co-pay? Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Maybe Dr. Bill have a good answer to this.
by Terry Browne / May 4, 2006 12:14 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?