Linux forum

General discussion

Where to start

I want to switch my windows computer to Linux but have no idea where to even begin. I'm not a computer newb, but I am new to Linux. The machine I want to install it on is a pentium 4 3.06ghz with over a gig of ram. I'm not even sure what other info you'd need to help lol. Perhaps someone could suggest the right form of linux?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where to start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where to start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The right form of Linux is... determined by you.

In reply to: Where to start

You didn't give much to work with but I like KNOPPIX since you don't have to install it to see if you can use it. SUSE and others have LIVE CDs you can test drive until you find what you are looking for.

Bob

Collapse -
well...

In reply to: The right form of Linux is... determined by you.

what information do you need? I tried out knoppix, played with it for a few hours and now I want to switch.

Collapse -
Linux Distro's

In reply to: well...

Dragontears

May I suggest you visit "ubuntu.com" and browse there web page.

They have a number of different deretives to there distro.

You can chose Ubuntu with the gnome desktop or the Kubuntu with the Kde desktop and or other programs.

Also you may want to visit there community forum where they have how to's and other help from members.

I have ubuntu Breezy 5.10 and Kubuntu Breezy 5.10 and find both user friendly.

The only real problem I had was that I had a winmodem that would not connect to the internet. Installed an external serial modem and all works fine

I have also used Suse and only problem is I find it is a little more difficult for noobies.

HTH
Ray

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Linux Distro's

I went to the site and wandered through it for a bit, now I'm downloading it. Then I'll just have to back everything up on that computer, and be good to go. Do you recommend a clean hard drive, or should I leave winxp on it?
I'm leaving one of the two computers with xp for now, as I'm not sure that I'll be able to find drivers for my video card.

Collapse -
I see it as personnel preference

In reply to: Thanks

I have a master 40gb harddrive with Windows and Linux Kubuntu install on each of 20gb.

On the slave I have a Windows d Drive and Ubuntu on 40gb each.

I dual boot with grub by adding it to mbr when installation of Ubuntu ask if you would like to add.

I then after installation is completed go to a terminal and type sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst and scroll down to default and change number to line I want to boot. Remmbering first line of grub is 0.

HTH
Ray

Collapse -
A nod to Kubuntu with the Kde desktop .

In reply to: Linux Distro's

You tried Knoppix so the KDE may be more to your liking. By revealing what you tried and liked, it helps.

Bob

Collapse -
hmm

In reply to: A nod to Kubuntu with the Kde desktop .

I haven't actually seen a Gnome desktop yet lol. I'm sure I'll have to now though, or I'll die of curiosity. I've read that Kde is harder on resources, but my machine's a Pentium 4 3.06ghz, with over a gig of ram so I think that will be no problem for me. The machine's an emachines T2056. The only thing I've added to the original configuration is more ram and a soundblaster live 5.1 sound card.(don't laugh cuz it's an emachine, it's my sacrificial lamb for trying new things before moving them to my Dell and actually, the emachine is a pretty good computer)

Collapse -
Simply MEPIS is also worthy of consideration

Just to add my two cents worth to the discussion -

I agree with Bob Re: Knoppix

Simply MEPIS can also be booted "live" and then if you want to install it just clic the "Install to Hard Drive icon" on the desktop.

Ultimately the choice of distro is up to you !

I tried quite a few distro's before ultimately settling on:

1. Knoppix

2. Simply MEPIS

I also use Puppy and Damn Small Linux on my other PCs that are incapable of booting an O/S such as Knoppix or Mepis. (Pentium I 64 MB RAM)

One of the benefits of Linux is in the variety of distos available to suit different needs, tasks and user preferences.

Good Luck whatever you decide.

Trevor

Collapse -
ok then...

In reply to: Simply MEPIS is also worthy of consideration

I'm going to download this simply mepis and check it out too. My machine is more than capable of booting Knoppix so I'm going to assume it'll have no problem with simply mepis.

Collapse -
Start with Mandriva

It is the best user-friendly linux distro. The default desktop is kde, which most windows users feel very comfortable with.

Collapse -
too late

In reply to: Start with Mandriva

I saw this post after I'd installed Kubuntu. I like the Kde desktop. Hopefully I'll be able to figure it all out. I have the feeling I'll be spending a lot of time reading forums...

Collapse -
Ubuntu

Have you already tried Ubuntu? I am using at the moment, and I have been using it since Oct/Nov 2005. I think it is great.

It is really a personal choice between Gnome and KDE, though for Ubuntu I think GNOME is more supported (more GNOME users for Ubuntu in general), though as I said before, it is a personal choice.

Good Luck Happy

Collapse -
Kubuntu

In reply to: Ubuntu

Yesterday I installed Kubuntu, because I liked the Kde on Knoppix. Once I got it installed, I realized that I had no idea how to run it lol. Took me over a half hour to figure out how to install Firefox. I'm slowly learning though!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.