Storage forum

General discussion

Where to find new case for Lacie d2 Quadra??

by alluraofarus / May 10, 2008 10:38 AM PDT

I recently had a Lacie d2 Quadra drive w/ a feature film on it get fried from a power surge (though plugged into a surge protector) and I need to try to replace the drive enclosure, but I can't seem to find a drive enclosure that would fit. Does anyone know of a replacement case that would work for a Lacie drive w/ 1 eSATA, 2 FW800, 1 FW400, and 1 USB 2.0 ports? Also, how can I tell if it's a 3.5" or a 5.25" drive? It doesn't say in the specs what the actual size of the drive inside is... I'm assuming it's a SATA drive and not an IDE, because of the eSATA port? Am I correct to assume this? Any suggestions of drives to buy greatly appreciated!

Here's the specs of the dead Lacie drive:

# Capacity: 500 GB
# Spindle Speed: 7200 RPM
# Cache: 16 MB
# Interface: 1 x eSATA (rugged) port, 2 x FireWire 800 (9-pin) ports,
1 x FireWire 400 (6-pin) port, 1 x USB 2.0 port (USB 1.1-compatible)
# Dimensions:
# 6.8x 1.7 x 6.3-inches (H x W x D, approximate)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where to find new case for Lacie d2 Quadra??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where to find new case for Lacie d2 Quadra??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thank you, but what I should have said is...
by alluraofarus / May 10, 2008 12:52 PM PDT

What I should have said is I need an enclosure with a firewire 800 port for the above mentioned Lacie. Those were the ports the Lacie came with (eSATA, USB 2.0, fw400, fw800), but I'm assuming I can get an enclosure w/ less ports and it will still work. I've never had a use for the eSATA or USB 2.0, but I'm working w/ uncompressed video, so the firewire 800 is indispensable. Are there any fw800 enclosures out there for less than $100, that would work w/ this drive? It doesn't even need to have a cooling fan, I just need to get the thing to work long enough to access the uncompressed 10-bit video files on it. USB 2.0 can't handle the video transfer I need to do. Are there any fw800 drive enclosures out there in a reasonable price range? I've only been able to find USB...

Collapse -
Are you connecting the external
by VAPCMD / May 10, 2008 2:08 PM PDT

to a desktop with any available SATA ports on the motherboard? If yes, the MX-1 comes with an eSATA adapter allowing the SATA to go from the MB SATA to an eSATA port in a desktop PC...it should be as fast as the SATA drive can deliver the data...certainly as fast as FW 400 or 800.

Otherwise... guess you'll just have to keep looking ...here's what NewEgg has.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures

Collapse -
Wish I knew the answer to that...
by alluraofarus / May 10, 2008 2:43 PM PDT

Here are some tech specs from the Mac Pro I want to put it in:

"Includes four 3.5-inch cable-free, direct-attach hard drive bays with built-in independent 3Gb/s Serial ATA channels; four internal hard drive carriers included

Mac Pro Ports

* Two FireWire 800 ports (one on front panel, one on back panel)
* Two FireWire 400 ports (one on front panel, one on back panel)
* Five USB 2.0 ports (two on front panel, three on back panel)
* Two USB 2.0 ports on included keyboard"

So, are you saying that I definitely need an external enclosure? Is my Lacie drive different than the type of hard drive I could hook up as a slave drive *inside* the computer? I don't know anything bout eSATA. I've never had occasion to use that port on my Lacie. All I know is that so far I've needed firewire to transport uncompressed video (but I imagine there's some way I can transport it by hooking it up as a slave drive inside the Mac Pro?) I've hooked up slave drives in a PC before, years ago, to recover data. Is there some reason I can't hook up this drive in the same way if I take it out of its enclosure and put it in the Mac? In which case I wouldn't have to try to figure out what kind of new enclosure to use?

Sorry for my confusion!

Collapse -
Woops, got my threads confused
by alluraofarus / May 10, 2008 3:07 PM PDT

In another thread about external drive crashes, I asked if I could just take my drive out of its enclosure and hook it up as a slave drive inside a Mac Pro, instead of trying to guess the right size enclosure for it. That's where these specs came from. Do you know if that would be possible?

Collapse -
My uninformed guess about connecting as internal is Yes....
by VAPCMD / May 11, 2008 12:30 AM PDT

Do you have a link to the Mac Pro that might show me the insides ?

Is the LaCie enclosure not working or broken or what ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thank you, here's a couple links...

There are some photos of the internals at the link below, and if you mouse over "slide-in storage" at the top of the page it gives more info:

http://www.apple.com/macpro/design.html

It seems like it would work?

Also, someone recommended this awesome little device that connects to an IDE or SATA drive and into a computer's USB 2.0 port, w/ its own power adapter. It seems like this device would have been wonderful to have when the hard drive in my PC died a few years ago, and I needed to transfer a bunch of text and music files, but now I need to retrieve 10-bit uncompressed video, which can't be transferred via USB 2.0 (at least, that's what I've been told over and over and over again). Here's a link to that device:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020&cat=HDD

Collapse -
From here it 'looks like' the slide in storage option
by VAPCMD / May 11, 2008 10:45 AM PDT

would work and eliminate having to buy anything.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Kinda works, but I must be doing something wrong...
by alluraofarus / May 19, 2008 11:56 AM PDT

Okay. I installed the drive in the Mac Pro and everything fits. I turned the Mac Pro on, and the Lacie drive(actually, it turned out to be a Seagate in a Lacie enclosure) made its old, familiar sound (the mac pro is usually silent, but now it had the sound of the Lacie spinning, which has always been very loud). So, the drive does not appear to be dead, it looks like it was the power supply that's dead. BUT. The Mac Pro was trying to boot from the Lacie drive, which does not have an OS on it, instead of booting from its own hard drive. So the Mac just wouldn't boot up. Why does this happen? I know there are no master/slave cables in a Mac Pro like there are in a PC, but there must be some way to set up a drive as a slave. I just haven't been able to find any information doing internet searches. Sorry, have never done this w/ a mac before, just PC's...

Collapse -
Options...try another drive slot, see if theres a BIOS boot
by VAPCMD / May 19, 2008 11:37 PM PDT

option, try drive cable to another MB connector (not sure how Mac Pros cable to MB), try the Mac FORUM ....

Contact LaCie....see if they'll replace the defective component.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
what size was the drive?
by itajel / December 14, 2011 8:34 AM PST

I am currently in the process of finding a new enclosure for my lacie d2 quadra 1TB, and wanted to know whether the drive was a 3.5" or a 5.25"? any help would be awesome.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!