Computer Help forum

General discussion

Where to find help with yahoo chat?

by Smallworld / January 22, 2006 9:05 PM PST

Hi. Since no one seems to be able to help me with my problem under the communications forum here, does anyone on this forum at least have a suggestion on other "help" boards on the internet, that might be able to help me with this problem? I would really appreciate it. (and BTW-please don't suggest yahoo itself--help is non existent there.) Thank you. Smallworld

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where to find help with yahoo chat?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where to find help with yahoo chat?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Small, Likely Explanation For Lack Of Help
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 23, 2006 1:06 AM PST

You need to give more information about your problem and about your computer..At this point you haven't told us what the problem is..

Whenever posting questions on these forums, please give us as much information as possible about your computer. Depending on your issue, we might need the operating system, processor speed, amount of RAM installed, brand name of the computer, (if there is one), and any EXACT error messages you are receiving, and in your case, the EXACT problem your having at Yahoo's chat site..The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you for the reply.
by Smallworld / January 23, 2006 4:25 AM PST

Thank yoy Grif for the reply. I thought that my post under the communications forum stated my real problem, and that this was not the proper forum to repeat it so that's why I did not go into detail here.

I have a compaq computer running Wix Xp sp2
Intel Celeron Processor
1300Mhz 1.30 Ghz, 256MB RAM

I hope that is enough information about the computer, because that is all I could find out by myself!!

My problem is that when using a chat room in Yahoo chat, my typing disappears after about 5-8 minutes. I can talk on the microphone if I wish, but no one can see my typing in the room until about 10 minutes go by. Then I magically reappear for another 5 mins or so before disappearing. This happens every time I enter any chat room within yahoo. This happens to only a few others that I know of. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the yahoo messenger and chat service many many times. I have used old and new versions. I have even switched ISP's and computers since this started over a year ago. I have tried a few things people have suggested to me, but it still happens. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. ---or any other sites to search for help would be appreciated as well. BTW there are never any error messages involved. I just fade out and in every few minutes that I am in a chat room. It is very frustrating.

Collapse -
Small, Just A Suggestion...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 23, 2006 6:10 AM PST

Make sure that you've got the newest version of Java and the Windows Script engine. Both are used frequently on chat sites..Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then click on the ''Download JRE 5.0 Update 6'' download link that is in the ''JRE 5.0 Update 6 includes the JVM technology'' section. Download the full ''Windows Offline Installation'' file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean). ONce that's done, if you've already got a Sun Java version on the computer, open the Control Panel, double click on the "Add/Remove Programs" section, then uninstall all previous version of the J2SE Java listed there. Once that's done, then install Java 1.5 from the downloaded installer.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

AFter that, download and install the updated Script engine from the appropriate link below:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

At the link above, you'll need to validate your version of XP which isn't a problem as long as its legal.

After everything is installed, then open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Internet Options'' icon, then click on the ''Advanced'' tab. When that loads, scroll down to the ''Java(Sun)'' section and make sure there is a CHECK mark next to: ''Use Java,....''. Click on Apply. Then scroll to the ''Multimedia'' section and place a CHECK mark in the ''Play Sounds In Web Pages'', ''Play videos in Web Pages'', & ''Show pictures'' box and UNCHECK the box next to ''Show download Placeholders:'', then click on Apply, then Ok.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes..

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you--but I tried this before.
by Smallworld / January 23, 2006 10:28 PM PST

Grif: I have tried installing the updated Java before as well as the updated script. It didn't improve anything. I really am beginning to think that its a flaw with yahoo but if that were the case, then why wouldnt uninstalling the software and reinstalling it solve the problem? And why only a few people have this problem? Why not everyone in the chat rooms?

If you think i should update again, I will be glad to do it, but somehow, I think I have the most updated Java Sun stuff. I will go to the site and at least check the version. Smallworld

Collapse -
Small, Well...If Everything's Current...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 1:30 AM PST

...and your browser settings are set to medium, then I tend to agree that it's a Yahoo software issue. Especially if a few other members experience similar problems, then only Yahoo can fix it.

Good luck and Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
And as far as no help at Yahoo.
by chuckieu / January 24, 2006 3:25 AM PST

I have never found this to be the case. Sometimes you have to go to a 2nd or 3rd level tech who has more knowledge on the issue. Hope this helps. chuck

Collapse -
How do you get through to the help???
by Smallworld / January 24, 2006 11:07 PM PST

Chuck: The few of us that have had this "disappearing" problem have tried repeatedly to obtain help from yahoo. Last year, I was able to get through to a specific chat tech person who told me that they were working on the problem. Since then, that "window" or door has been shut on the problem, and none of us involved can get past the generic email answer. We are told that since yahoo messenger and chat are free areas, there are no provisions for support with it beyond the general abusive user. Thanks for the suggestion. But we have tried and tried to get help from yahoo. We now just seem to get sent back to the help pages which give us the generic email to uninstall reinstall etc. etc. Smallworld

Collapse -
Phone!!!!!!!!!!
by chuckieu / January 25, 2006 3:18 AM PST

Call the 800 number. Talk to the level 1 tech. If they can't resolve the issue, ask for a level 2 tech, even if you have to call back. And so on, and so on. An online chat tech is usually just reading from a set of instructions in a book, with no real knowledge to draw on and under the gun to go on to the next call. A phone tech will be only slightly more knowledgeable, but sometimes that is enough, but you can move up the line if it is not. chuck

Collapse -
Will try again
by Smallworld / January 29, 2006 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: Phone!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that the online tech help can only go so far. I have had better results with any dsl issues by calling. But when telephoning yahoo through the only number I could find, I could only get so far on the automated system---never could get to an actual live voice even by hitting 0, # etc. I will try again--it has been awhile. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Thanks again
by Smallworld / January 24, 2006 11:02 PM PST

Thank you Grif for trying. Yes, everything is as you suggested sooooo I guess I will just have to hope that enough people complain to yahoo and they can fix it from there. Since yahoo messenger/chat is a free service, I have been advised that the help will not be forthcoming. I do appreciate you taking the time to help me. Thanks again. Smallworld

Collapse -
Yahoo
by mightydeerhunter / January 27, 2006 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks again

Yahoo messenger doesn't need JAVA for one thing. The dropping off as you say is a Yahoo issue. It happens to me as well as several friends. Good luck with your quest.

Collapse -
Small, You May need to do Manual Deletion
by whispy / January 27, 2006 1:01 AM PST

Small, besides the fact that there are many people that i know having this "word ghosting" problem on yahoo; there are a couple other things to try to make sure its not your computer.

First, after doing a add/remove of all things yahoo; go to your start button, find the search button, type click on "All Files and Folders" make sure to have checks ini all boxes about which files; then type in Yahoo. When the list comes up, make sure that is stuff fromtyour yahoo programming. Those are the files that regular add/remove doesnt catch.

At that point, right click on each one, and hit delete.If not all can be deleted dont worry, just meants that one of files is seeing the prog as being still on.

Then shut down your system, do a reboot, and then a manual search again; for anything yahoo; just to make sure after the reboot that those files truly arent there anymore.

After that, go to start, my computer, Windows folder, and at bottom of page you will see a file marked "yacs". Delete it. That is a file that records all your messages to anyone, and could be seriously overfull.

Then reinstall all yahoo. Then hopefully, it will be fixed. Otherwise, yahoo is having its typical problems again.

Collapse -
I guess it is just Yahoo.
by Smallworld / January 29, 2006 9:24 AM PST

I hate to sound so ungrateful to everyone, but I have indeed "been there done that" as the saying goes. After hearing from those of you who replied I can see that this is indeed a yahoo issue and effects more people than I thought. Hopefully if we keep submitting complaints to yahoo they will eventually take an interest, but as I was told over a year ago, yahoo messenger is a free service, and support for free services are not provided. Thank you again for your reply. I guess I was just hoping that someone else had come up with something different that might help with the problem. Smallworld

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?