Cameras forum

General discussion

Where to buy wide angle lens for digital camera? Help!

by danielswiss / April 23, 2004 8:28 AM PDT

I am considering buying either the Minolta Dimage Z2 or Olympus c-750.

For both cameras you can purchase wide angle lenses. When you buy them from the manufacturers, they are quite expensive. Does anybody have any experience busying such accessories from Ebay? Does manufacturer make a big difference. On Ebay, they have packages for $ 80 for a Macro lens and a Wide Angle lens together.

Also, the manufacturer sells a wide angle attachment with .75 and at e-bay they sell some with .45. What do these numbers refer to and how will they affect a 38 mm lens differently?

Would greatly appreciate an answer to these questions!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where to buy wide angle lens for digital camera? Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where to buy wide angle lens for digital camera? Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Where to buy wide angle lens for digital camera? Help!
by snapshot / April 24, 2004 2:33 AM PDT

Both cameras require a lens adapter tube, on which to mount the wide angle lens. These tubes sell for about $20.

Minolta lists a wide angle kit, lens and tube for $120. You are not going to save much by buying another brand of lens.

The Olympus lens sells for a good deal more than that.
There are lots of lenses available. Are they better than the Olympus lens? No.

Here is a site that sells lenses and adapter tubes:

http://www.2filter.com/welcometo.html

You should first try to find a bargain price for the Olympus lens. It is a highly rated lens. You might find it one on ebay.

Collapse -

I use olympus c750. It's a dream to use for me. When using the Olumpus xd card, you can take panoramic multiple shots, a feature built into the camera.
Also, do you use a photoshop app? You can blend photos together that way as well.
10x optical with 4x digital, 4MP is ideal, as you can also shoot in TIFF format, for larger prints, with c750.
In addition, there are sellers on ebay for add-on lenses, for under $100. Some wisdom for you on wideangle [digital]. 2X means square root of 2 increase, which equals 1.4, or about 40% increase.
There is also a wide angle lens in the combo, that widens about 40% as well[.5X]. This will help your landscape shots out, or even those close shots at holidays, etc. It usually comes with a macro filter lens, which lets you get much closer than the macro setting on the camera, I forget the ratio at the moment, but it is dynamic increase. Just unscrew it from the wideangle lens. I have used them a lot, they are a joy!
Hope it helps!!
Alan R.

Collapse -
How To Buy On eBay
by pfeffer3 / April 24, 2004 12:20 PM PDT

When logging onto eBay site, type in exactly what you are looking for and do a search. Then remove one word and do a search again. And modify search again, and save all searches to a folder. And keep activating each of those searches daily until item is found.

Once you find what you are looking for, save it to same folder and rename it with expiration date.

Send an email inquiry to seller until you are satisfied about its quality and it is what you are looking for. Never buy from someone who refuses to answer all of your questions, and be sure to save all emails. If you ask a specific question and it is not answered, then assume that item is faulty in that area.

Never bid on a seller's item that has less than 99% positive feedback to prevent being ripped off. And, never bid on an item that does not have photos from several different angles.

Then wait, and just a few minutes before item's time is about to end, log in on that site by opening an email message to that seller. When email message form opens, do not send email message. But instead, return to that items's site. Then start pressing the F5 key to refresh that site. Then at 45 seconds before auction ends, place the amount that you are willing to pay and one that you will not regret not bidding more for it.

I have 147 positive feedbacks on eBay and buy on that site regularly, and will buy there again.

Collapse -
by nyc2bgi / April 29, 2004 1:35 AM PDT

I recently bought an Olympus c-750 and love it. I got a polarizing filter and macro lens from Camera Land in NYC. The lens cost about 90.00. You do need an adapter tube that will cost another 25.00-30.00 to use the macro lens or any filters.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?