HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

Question

where to buy new smartphone (Verizon)

by DebBD16 / August 24, 2011 10:23 PM PDT

I have always bought my phones at a Verizon/AT&T store
when i've purchased new phones - is that necessary? What will I miss if I buy at a Target or Costco? I was thinking of buying at another site for convenience - what is the downside?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: where to buy new smartphone (Verizon)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: where to buy new smartphone (Verizon)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Possible problem
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 24, 2011 11:26 PM PDT

With some (not all) authorized resellers there are additional contracts that can penalize a customer if they change their plan/features or phone during the first 6 months from activation. I don't think Best Buy has such a policy, but keep that in mind. Make sure you ask if there are any additional contracts/restrictions before buying. Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Simply buy online from the carrier web site
by Pepe7 / August 25, 2011 12:20 AM PDT

This way you don't have to worry about any extra fees from a third party, and you know everything's on the up and up. If you already know what phone you want, order online and save the gas/trip to the store.

Collapse -
simply buy...
by DebBD16 / August 25, 2011 2:11 AM PDT

I often need help and like the ability to speak to someone face to face - which is why I wanted to buy closer to home. so when i have a problem and need help i don't have to make a big trip to Verizon store. but thank you - sure it would make sense if i wasn't so needy!

Collapse -
Harder than it has to be ;)
by Pepe7 / August 25, 2011 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: simply buy...

Since you are a current Verizon customer, they will help you as needed after you buy the phone online.

Collapse -
Answer
Amazon for 2-year contract accounts; shop around if prepaid.
by TomBarrister / August 29, 2011 3:17 AM PDT

Generally, Amazon Wireless has the best prices for those who are signing up with a new carrier for the first time or who are eligible for a full upgrade to an existing contract. For example, a Droid Incredible 2 is free for new Verizon customers or those eligible for a full upgrade (generally those whose contracts are in the last 2 months, e.g. who have paid for 22 of the 24 months), with a two year contract or contract extension. Note that Amazon has a $250 penalty if you cancel before you've been with the carrier for 181 consecutive days (e.g. 6 months). That's in addition to whatever penalty the carrier has for early termination.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.